Re: Wiring umass unit numbers

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:08:49 -0700 (PDT)
george+freebsd@xxxxxxx mentioned:

I have a USB floppy drive and a USB flash card reader/writer. At
various times, neither, one, or both devices are plugged into the
computer. Depending upon when each is plugged in, the floppy
drive might become /dev/da0 and the flash reader/writer /dev/da1,
or vice versa. Is there a way to specify which should be which?

AFAIK, no, but if you just need to have constant device names, you
can use labels provided by glabel(8), e.g. if you issue
# glabel label -v MYFLASH /dev/da0 when da0 is flash, you'll
always have /dev/label/MYFLASH entry whenever you flash is
plugged.

Unfortunately, this technique can't be used with floppy, for
glabel information is stored on the media itself, that is you
need to label every floppy separately.

Hope that helps.

--
Stanislav Sedov MBSD labs, Inc. <ssedov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Россия, Москва http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint: F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2 A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581

  • Re: File output buffer overrun?
    ... That is implausible enough that I'd say the odds were very high that you have misidentified what is going on, which would make it hard for us to diagnose, since all we have is your description. ... If your description isn't actually a good approximation of the facts, ... After not so many files open on a 1.2MB floppy you are probably down to 4096. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Transferring Files from one drive to another
    ... I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive to ... the floppy and vice versa. ... Each transfer is successful but in each instance I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: How to determine is bootable media write-protected?
    ... hangs if floppy in real is write-protected. ... Vice versa works. ... Can you tell me what's the reason? ...