Re: page fault & degaradation performance

* perryh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (perryh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

how to reduce the number of page faults to upgrade program or OS
performance?

Install more memory.

I can cause paging on my hugely overendowed RELENG_6 system (8GB, ~2GB
active) just by reading some big files and churning through cache. It's
nice seeing syslogd go into pfault while there's 5G of inactive memory
and 300MB cache just waiting to be recycled.

There would seem to be some room for tuning on at least some systems.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
http://hur.st/

  • Re: MFC executable is 100% slower on faster machine
    ... Cache replacement algorithm ... Memory architecture ... Sounds like paging to me. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: MFC executable is 100% slower on faster machine
    ... Cache replacement algorithm ... Memory architecture ... Sounds like paging to me. ... The slower machine has twice the memory, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Cached memory never gets released
    ... Stock linux 2.4.26 kernel. ... Due to flash bug 3M of memory gets lost due to font memory getting lost ... The output of "free" cache number steadily grows. ... longer to exhaust all of system memory with the cache. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Problem: Creating a raw binary string
    ... > While its true that a 64-bit cpu will move twice the data per instruction it ... > Memory bus width plays an important role here and unless it too is widened / ... You are forgetting the two levels of cache in the processor. ... The memory chips are addressed in Row col fashion. ...
    (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
  • Re: Is Greenspun enough?
    ... Most OSes memory map executables directly from the file system so code doesn't pollute the file cache or swap space. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)