Idea for FreeBSD

To who it may concern,

I am A FreeBSD administrator as well as a Solaris Administrator. I use
BSD at home but Solaris at work. I love both OS's but I would like to
increase the administrative capability of FreeBSD.

In Solaris 10 the Services Management Facility (SMF) was introduced.
Basically what it does, is take all the rc.d scripts and puts them into
a database to manage. Everything is converted to XML and two basic
commands (svcs and svcadm) are used to manage everything.

I would like to submit the idea of implementing a similar environment
into FreeBSD. After looking through the developers links and googling I
found no project for FreeBSD that implemented anything similar to this.
I have included a link below to give a better understanding of SMF and
its capabilities.

Is it possible, if it does not exist already, to look at the
possibility of implementing the concept of SMF into FreeBSD? I would
gladly be an active supporter in this endeavor.

Will Bentley
Future CIS
410-782-5954
"Your resource for computer expertise!"

  • Re: Idea for FreeBSD
    ... I am A FreeBSD administrator as well as a Solaris Administrator. ... Everything is converted to XML ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Idea for FreeBSD
    ... I am A FreeBSD administrator as well as a Solaris Administrator. ... Everything is converted to XML ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Suche eine Inspiritation... :-)
    ... Mit zwei Prozessoren, 2GB RAM ... Dann kam FreeBSD 6.irgendwas drauf, ... wirklich mit Solaris funktioniert. ... Controller von Promise oder was weiß ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.misc)
  • Re: Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?
    ... Solaris is not a viable option. ... FreeBSD looks like the next best available option at the moment, ... support my OpenSource projects and personal files. ... of course Solaris has latest version of ZFS but still..... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: whats making executables so large?
    ... each shared library mapped to a separate memory page and memory page ... using Solaris tools to monitor process size and virtual memory. ... The RSS sizes under FreeBSD and Solaris were similar, ... the RSS sizes are nearly identical. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)