Re: ntpd hangs under FBSD 8

Alexey Shuvaev <shuvaev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The flag you should look at is '-g'. GCC supports debuggind symbols
together with -O2 optimizations.

It is generally not a good idea to use -O2 for debugging versions, since
gcc will optimize away many local variables.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@xxxxxx

  • Re: Bad performance on alpha? (make buildworld)
    ... There are a few additional optimizations which are architecture specific, ... > GCC does. ... A quick look suggests that Alpha code generation is deficient dealing with ... instructions, this simple operation requires 17 Alpha instructions!" ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • Re: c compilation - gcc vs visual c
    ... I recently compiled a numerically intensive c project under cygwin gcc ... MS focuses a lot more on specific optimizations, ... the simplest approach, however (and the one I currently use in my compiler), ... (silly code), are ones I focus on fixing. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Noob Guestion About Make.conf
    ... documentation about GCC compiler options. ... Not all optimizations are controlled directly by a flag. ... CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C ... If you expect bug reports to be taken seriously, ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
    ... Maybe the kernel's backtrace code should be fixed instead of blaming ... Guess how big it is for the kernel? ... after I saw the gcc people talking negatively about the latest brouhaha. ... kernel backtrace debugging is different from regular user mode debugging? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: kernel + gcc 4.1 = several problems
    ... Gcc people are quick to condemn others for assumptions that breaks ... Compiler writers seem to seldom even realize this. ... code gets shipped with basically no optimizations at all (or with specific ... it's reasonably easy to find places that are buggy. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)