Re: GSoC: Making ports work with clang

On Mon, 03 May 2010 14:27:52 +0300, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For me, the project that makes sense is exactly "making freebsd ports
work with clang", instead of what many have read "making applications
ported to freebsd and compiled with clang work". Please note the subtle
but very important difference.

Even more, I do think that making our ports work with exactly clang does
not give us any useful bits, except putting the port _infrastructure_
into shape where it can use non-base compilers, as easy as changing
two or three variables. Being able to decouple base and port compilers,
and give the port system the freedom to use whatever compiler the port
masters find suitable is very important. It is important both for ports,
to not need to make a rush run to fix after base changes, and it is
important for base to not hold on ports much to make a change.

Other then that, I mostly share your refusal to drink the Kool-Aid.

Finally, someone who understands the benefits of my project and what
I'm trying to do!
Of course it's my own fault for not explaining my goals clearly enough,
but now I know where to point when I try to explain what I'm doing or
why it's good for FreeBSD.

--
Andrius

  • Re: GCC withdraw
    ... I expect that platforms that don't have support from clang or some ... SPARC64, then either gcc from ports as an external toolchain, or finishing ... standard and not using any extension of the used compilers (if there are ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: More kernel performance tests on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
    ... kernels compiled with different compilers, ... GENERIC kernels compiled with clang 3.2 are again ... a little faster than those compiled with gcc 4.2.1. ... problems with floating point. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: More kernel performance tests on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
    ... kernels compiled with different compilers, ... GENERIC kernels compiled with clang 3.2 are again ... a little faster than those compiled with gcc 4.2.1. ... and in system time the difference is even larger, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: OT: IBM Offering $9-10 Per Share for Sun
    ... based upon Intel chips. ... Once you have the kernel and compilers done, ... So, yes, there would have been skunk works to do that, but I don't think ... So the port is not as involved as it would be if they were ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: compiled open source Windows lisp (was Re: Python becoming less Lisp-like)
    ... proprietary lisp compilers for those people who insist on using ... Most open source developers would be indifferent at best to a windows ... port, it's not like it's even a fun challenge like a port to an obscure ... Most people writing open source and for the fun of it just aren't going ...
    (comp.lang.python)