Re: FreeBSD development on Mac OS

On Nov 21, 2010, at 8:44 PM, mdf@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Garrett Cooper <gcooper@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 22/11/2010, at 13:32, mdf@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
My /etc/exports file on the Mac looks like:

/data -maproot=mdf:admin -network 10.211.55.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

as that's the IP range that parallels is using for its virtual machines.

But when I try to mount from FreeBSD (as root) I get this error:

RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak

I just tried this on my MBP with parallels and it worked fine - I had maproot=0:0 though.

I ran into this same problem a while back but I did
eventually get it to work.

I can't remember now what the "client credential" in
question was; it's a pretty cryptic error message.

Here's my /etc/exports on Mac OS:

/Users/tim -alldirs -mapall=tim -network 10.123.9.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

(Yes, I've changed the network addressing used by Parallels.)
Here's the mount command that works for me on FreeBSD:

mount 10.123.9.101:/Users/tim /mnt

The FreeBSD VM has nothing at all NFS-related
in rc.conf---I recall playing with some options but backing
them all out.

I've since switched over to using another FreeBSD VM as NFS server,
which works well but eats battery. As soon as
I can find the time to backup and reformat my Mac disk
so I can set aside a case-sensitive partition, I'll probably
switch back to having the Mac play NFS server.

Tim

  • Re: FreeBSD development on Mac OS
    ... But when I try to mount from FreeBSD (as root) I get this error: ... I just tried this on my MBP with parallels and it worked fine - I had maproot=0:0 though. ... There is no /var/log/messages on the mac, or at least not on mine. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Tricks to impress Windows users
    ... warrantee. ... And exactly the problem I have when I use a Mac. ... out so I've go to try to upgrade Parallels after reading about it ... and I've just talked her though disabling the proprietary WiFi client, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Tricks to impress Windows users
    ... warrantee. ... machine if I have the spare parts, so with a new Mac I wouldn't be ... out so I've go to try to upgrade Parallels after reading about it ... that there is nothing quite as bad as how windows handles ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: learning unix w/ fbsd?
    ... Commando taught me that the flag options were both useful ... > Given the loss of commando in OS X and the improvements in FreeBSD ... > Mac, but that was never the point of FreeBSD. ... It is instructive to recall what the first /killer app/ for AT&T unix ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Macbook OSX and Windows apps
    ... I get my first ever Mac tommorow and although ... within OSX without having to run an entire VM or having to reboot. ... real Windows machine. ... both Fusion and Parallels also allow you to use ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)