Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date

2011/3/28 <dieterbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
And while I (think I) recall that the equivalent of /etc/localtime
was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink,
I believe that approach could be problematic for FreeBSD, as it
could impose some unintended requirements on some of the start-up
scripts.

I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being
a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result.

The symlink's target is in /usr (/usr/share/zoneinfo/), which is
separated in the default partition layout.
But both /etc/rc.d/adjkerntz and /usr/src/UPDATING require mounting
filesystems before calling adjkerntz, so it should be ok.

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."

  • Re: FreeBSD extended to Arab World
    ... I don't think the "Start FreeBSD" page on the website should be linking ... Maybe you could suggest running FreeBSD in VirtualBox: ... ceux qui comprennent le binaire, ... et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas." ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?
    ... Without this symlink, then SSL certs aren't found by the 'fetch' ... There's no reason for bash to be exceptions to the 24000 ... FreeBSD is in the minority, while Linux and MacOS X are in the vast ... Telling people to change their shell scripts, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: CUPS --- how to make it work with 5.2 ??
    ... > I find that for a host of reasons I must make CUPS work on this box to ... > be able to use FreeBSD full time. ... and symlink the CUPS versions to /usr/bin (i.e. do a ... The install scripts are /supposed/ to do the renaming so the "CUPS ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?
    ... The correct thing is to make a port/pkg that installs the symlink and /etc/shells this for the user. ... a mix of Linux machines and FreeBSD machines. ... If you want interoperability just use /usr/bin/env bash as a shebang. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink, ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... the same physical file system. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)