Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date

2011/3/28 <dieterbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
And while I (think I) recall that the equivalent of /etc/localtime
was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink,
I believe that approach could be problematic for FreeBSD, as it
could impose some unintended requirements on some of the start-up
scripts.

I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being
a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result.

The symlink's target is in /usr (/usr/share/zoneinfo/), which is
separated in the default partition layout.
But both /etc/rc.d/adjkerntz and /usr/src/UPDATING require mounting
filesystems before calling adjkerntz, so it should be ok.

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."