Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date

2011/3/28 <dieterbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
And while I (think I) recall that the equivalent of /etc/localtime
was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink,
I believe that approach could be problematic for FreeBSD, as it
could impose some unintended requirements on some of the start-up
scripts.

I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being
a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result.

The symlink's target is in /usr (/usr/share/zoneinfo/), which is
separated in the default partition layout.
But both /etc/rc.d/adjkerntz and /usr/src/UPDATING require mounting
filesystems before calling adjkerntz, so it should be ok.

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."

  • Re: FreeBSD extended to Arab World
    ... I don't think the "Start FreeBSD" page on the website should be linking ... Maybe you could suggest running FreeBSD in VirtualBox: ... ceux qui comprennent le binaire, ... et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas." ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: CUPS --- how to make it work with 5.2 ??
    ... > I find that for a host of reasons I must make CUPS work on this box to ... > be able to use FreeBSD full time. ... and symlink the CUPS versions to /usr/bin (i.e. do a ... The install scripts are /supposed/ to do the renaming so the "CUPS ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date
    ... was implemented in some version of SunOS many years ago as a symlink, ... I have been running FreeBSD and NetBSD with /etc/localtime being ... a symlink for years and have not seen any problems as a result. ... the same physical file system. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: RE: Is FreeBSDs tar susceptible to this?
    ... contents of the symlink, no. ... > FreeBSD and OpenBSD are both using gtar. ... The tar format has a rich history, dating back to Sixth Edition UNIX. ... if you have a hostile process, you tend to be forced in to assuming the ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: rm -f doesnt delete symlink
    ... Jeppe Bundsgaard wrote: ... I am trying to upgrade to FreeBSD 6.1. ... But when I run installworld ... error the script tries to delete the old symlink with: ...
    (freebsd-questions)