Upgrading FreeBSD

Basically it consists of (re)compilation and installation of world + kernel
However, 2 parts are always ommited:
Stage 1 - mbr|boot0
Stage 2 - boot
I won't also mention GPT part ...

Stage 3 - loader (is "covered" by world install)

Should it be expanded to world + kernel + bootcodes
The old way, one could pull it's old bootcodes, from 6.0 to 10.0 world + kernel

And bootcodes are changing. I've got bitten by bug in stage 2 boot, during 8.2 -> 9.0.

Domagoj Smolčić

  • Fatal trap 12 during boot of 5.3-BETA7 installation CD
    ... I've got a Compaq Presario S3500CL desktop machine and every time I boot the ... 5.3-BETA7 miniinst installation CD, ... I've never reported a kernel Fatal trap before, ... pci0: ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Help: Multi OS wont boot some OS - Grub Boot loader
    ... for default installation). ... I can boot only into SUSE and Kubuntu. ... a blank screen while trying to boot Mandriva issues a Kernel panic with the ... # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Failing boot - Kernel panic
    ... Please append a correct "root=" boot option ... Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41 ... I'm using lilo as my boot manager for a multi-os ... without a problem-- and my Debian installation from ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Kernel 2.4 and ASRock
    ... I've hit a problem with my Linux installation - in that I upgraded to the ... kernel from backports.org and my system hangs during boot. ... during boot with an infinate amount of "Lost Interrupt" errors on my IDE ... K7S8X MB) - and that it is fixed with the 2.6 BIOS upgrade. ...
    (Debian-User)