Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another point is that server installers are highly educated with respect to
desktop installers and their numbers are small with respect to desktop
users .

For them , it is very easy to "harden" FreeBSD after installation if ever
it is needed , because during installation , it is a simple question to ask
:

Will  this be used as a Server ?

Judging from the amount of effort it takes to "harden" a system
that already starts a thousand services (typical "desktop Linux"
scenario these days), and the number of times I've seen this
sort of customization cause even more headaches, I'd say this
is a slightly exaggerated statement.

You are right that a "plain user" does not care about why their
CD-ROM is not accessible after installation, but there are two
different ways to approach this:

- Install and enable everything by default, hoping that nothing
bad happens when an unused service is exploitable.
- Install a minimal system and build from there.

Most Linux distributions pick the first option. _Some_ Linux
distributions pick the second option (e.g. Gentoo).

The default FreeBSD installation uses the second option.
PC-BSD leans towards the first option, and does a really good
job at making a BSD desktop 'accessible' to what is usually
called "the average user".

So it all depends on what you want to do, and there _are_ options
that cover both cases for either Linux or BSD.

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 259
    ... > One issue I am having involves the ggz installation. ... There could be lots of reasons for a Linux box not to boot into ... > not a Fedora issue, it's a 2.6 issue which SuSE and Mandrake also has. ... > Can a Linux machine route tcp/ip data from a modem link to a local net ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... >> package, and to have easy access to those files, especially the ones ... >> this as being helpful to Linux users, ... >> Linux could be made easier by having installation programs actually ... be searching for the executable and its command line for invoking the IDE, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Just Got Back From NAMM. Why so little Linux?
    ... Just a little diversion back to the original topic, and an observation about me, and Linux. ... installing my familiar mail client and web browser (Firefox), ... The trick of copying the contents of an existing profile ... folder into the new profile folder that gets installed with a new installation didn't work. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... Markzoom has a posting history of less then 10 articles on Linux or any ... of his first experience with SuSE Linux. ... years only 5 posts were worthy of a real answer. ... >>attempted installation of SuSE. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)