RE: 2 adsl connections load balancing with natd/ipfw

From: Don Bowman (don_at_sandvine.com)
Date: 05/26/04

    To: 'Eric Anderson' <anderson@centtech.com>, Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:58:37 -0400

    From: Eric Anderson [mailto:anderson@centtech.com]
    > Emre Bastuz wrote:
    > [..snip..]
    >
    > >So far I did not find any tutorial or howto or whatever to
    > achieve my goal with
    > >FreeBSD. I assume right now there is no satisfying way to
    > use your two lines
    > >with BSD except with dedicated hardware.
    > >

    > Isn't it possible to use ipnat on a FreeBSD box, and use the load
    > distribution/reverse nat stuff in it to spread the requests
    > out between
    > the two connections? It's not perfect, but it's something.
    >
    > Basically, I think you'd set up a FreeBSD box as 'the router', so
    > clients would point to it's interface for their gateway (or
    > however you
    > want to set it up), then the FreeBSD box would distribute requests
    > between the two 'real' router IP's. I'm not certain this
    > will work, but
    > just a thought..

    Run two natd. Use ipfw 'probability' to pick one, and make the
    rule keep state so that the session sticks to the natd it has
    chosen. The only problem i have found is that each tcp session
    may then pick a different natd, couldn't figure out how to
    stick it to the source ip. It does work tho. No bgp, isp intervention,
    etc, reqired. The freebsd box running the natd will only use
    one of the two connections for its default route, but the hosts
    behind it using it as a gateway will use both.

    --don

    • Re: using natd to load balance port 80 to multiple servers
      ... I finally got around to testing out FreeBSD 5.3 + pf to replace my FreeBSD ... + natd to forward port 80 to multiple backend servers. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: 2 adsl connections load balancing with natd/ipfw
      ... It's cheaper than a PC and time you use on similar BSD solution... ... >> want to set it up), then the FreeBSD box would distribute requests ... > Run two natd. ... The only problem i have found is that each tcp session ...
      (freebsd-isp)
    • Re: NAT/ROUTING over a VPN : questions...
      ... low MTU and Do The Right Thing, and maybe it does encounter it but ... maybe it doesn't even get fed to natd due to the intricacies of how you ... now to add even more weirdness; it works just fine on another machine (also running 6.2 FreeBSD); I can't see any obvious difference between the two machines. ... Over the years I got to really understand ipfw and its little habits. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: natd not starting on boot-up
      ... Over the weekend I transferred my FreeBSD ... >>> the command line after booting up and logging in and it works fine, ... >>Are there any error messages relating to IPFW / natd on boot? ... but that works too and reads the interface from ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: natd not starting on boot-up
      ... Over the weekend I transferred my FreeBSD ... >>Are there any error messages relating to IPFW / natd on boot? ... but that works too and reads the interface from ... I tried commenting it out and restarting. ...
      (freebsd-questions)