Re: asp/aspx support for Javascript in Apache?

From: Bob Martin (bob_at_buckhorn.net)
Date: 07/28/04

    Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:49:57 -0500
    To: David Wolfskill <david@egation.com>

    .asp is active server pages, .aspx is .net active server pages.

    These are nearly always written in vb.script or C#

    You might want to have a look at mono, and instant asp
    http://www.go-mono.com
    http://www.halcyonsoft.com/

    I've not used either. We run a hardend NT box just for this stuff, but
    I've heard good things about these products. YMMV

    Bob

    David Wolfskill wrote:
    > Sorry if this is too elementary; I haven't had occasion to do much in
    > the way of anything too exotic with Apache -- mostly, it just works.
    >
    > But now my boss wants to host an organization that has pages with URLS
    > like http://..../Catalog.aspx, and whose contents include
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
    >

    > I gather that the *.aspx "extension" is intended to denote something
    > called "Active Server Pages". And the only support I find for that in
    > the ports collection is in www/p5-Apache-ASP; its pkg-descr says:
    >

    > This perl module provides an Active Server Pages port to the Apache HTTP
    > Server with perl as the host scripting language. Active Server Pages is
    > a web application platform that originated with the Microsoft IIS
    > server. Under Apache for both Win32 and Unix, it allows a developer to
    > create dynamic web applications with session management and perl code
    > embedded in static html files.
    >
    > This is a portable solution, similar to ActiveState PerlScript and MKS
    > PScript implementation of perl for IIS ASP. Work has been done and will
    > continue to make ports to and from these other implementations as smooth
    > as possible.
    >
    > This module works under the Apache HTTP Server with the mod_perl module
    > enabled. See http://www.apache.org and http://perl.apache.org for
    > further information.
    >
    > For database access, ActiveX, and scripting language issues, please read
    > the FAQ section.
    >
    > WWW: http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/
    >
    > -- Igor
    > igor@zynaps.ru
    >
    > [end of pkg-descr]
    >
    > That doesn't look like an especially good match to me. :-{
    >
    > Further, the above-cited FAQ entry reads:
    >
    > VBScript or JScript supported?
    >
    > Yes, but not with this Perl module. For ASP with other scripting
    > languages besides Perl, you will need to go with a commercial vendor in
    > the UNIX world. Sun and Stryon have such solutions. Of course on Windows
    > NT and Windows 2000, you get VBScript for free with IIS.
    >
    > Sun ONE Active Server Pages (formerly Sun Chili!Soft ASP)
    >
    > Instant ASP from Stryon (formerly Halcyon Software)
    >
    > [end of FAQ excerpt]
    >
    > which sounds downright discouraging. :-(
    >

    > So: would anyone care to offer clues as to how to support ASP using
    > Javascript as a scripting language under FreeBSD, preferably using
    > Apache as the Web server?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > david

    • Re: Major Problem-Active Server Pages error ASP 0240
      ... > I want to bring the follwing major problem for your kind ... Are you having the most recent SCRIPT version which comes with IE 6 ... compatible web farm Session replacement for Asp and Asp.Net ... > Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0240' ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
    • asp/aspx support for Javascript in Apache?
      ... the way of anything too exotic with Apache -- mostly, ... called "Active Server Pages". ... Server with perl as the host scripting language. ... PScript implementation of perl for IIS ASP. ...
      (freebsd-isp)
    • Running IIS locally - advice?
      ... I have an asp (Active Server Pages) application that I have to deploy ... list of things I want installed, disabled, etc, on these laptops. ... interfere with requests to the Loopback interface? ... Does anyone know of any products that will run asp pages sans IIS/PWS? ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: The Inquirer
      ... > write a web page in ASP (Active Server Pages) put it on a Microsoft OS ... You can see the HTML but can you see the embedded ASP ... Still doesn't sound very open source to me. ... Do you claim PHP not being open source because you can't see the PHP source ...
      (comp.os.vms)