Paper on device polling and packet capture performance

From: Richard Bejtlich (richard_bejtlich_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/09/04

    Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:17:16 -0800 (PST)
    To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org

    Hello,

    I was wondering if anyone read the paper by Luca Deri
    (of Ntop fame) on "Improving Passive Packet Capture:
    Beyond Device Polling":

    http://luca.ntop.org/Ring.pdf

    Luca makes some astounding claims regarding packet
    capture performance, with FreeBSD performing very well
    when device polling is enabled.

    A wrote a short and probably naive synopsis for my
    Blog:

    http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2004_01_01_taosecurity_archive.html#107358025105922521

    Does anyone care to comment on the paper? (I asked
    Luca and he agreed to this post.)

    Thank you,

    Richard Bejtlich
    http://www.taosecurity.com