RE: Looking for switch recommendations ...

From: Don Bowman (don_at_sandvine.com)
Date: 03/26/04

    To: "'Marc G. Fournier'" <scrappy@hub.org>, Per Engelbrecht <per@xterm.dk>
    Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:45:06 -0500

    From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:scrappy@hub.org]
    > One thing I hate about comparison shopping for computers ... there are
    > sooooo many options :(
    >
    > What is the difference between Layer2 and Layer3, and what does that
    > affect?
    >
    > I see the HP Procurve 2626 (I don't need 50 ports yet) for
    > ~$600 on the
    > web ... while I can pick up the Dell PowerConnect 3324 is ~$500 ...
    >
    > How do I compare the two? They seem to both use different
    > terminologies
    > for what I'd guess are the same thing:
    >
    > HP:
    > Throughput: 2650 - 10.1 mpps (64-byte packets) 2626 - 6.6
    > mpps (64-byte packets)
    > Switching capacity: 2650 - 13.6 Gbps 2626 - 9.6 Gbps
    >
    > Dell:
    > Switch Fabric Capacity 8.8 Gb/s
    > Forwarding Rate 6.5 Mpps
    >
    > So, in both cases, the HP is faster, but ... is that 6.6mpps
    > "per port"
    > (ie. the pp?) ... right now, I'm seeing max of around 3Mps going out a
    > server, with average being well below 1 ... so I can't see
    > hitting that
    > high any time soon ...
    >
    > Based on the #s for throughput, I can't see a big advantage of HP over
    > Dell to warrant the extra cost, but I see nothing on Dell about the
    > Layer2/3 stuff ... but not sure what that gives either ...
    >
    > Price wise, both the HP and Dell versions look reasonable,
    > and I think the
    > Dell is easier for me to get in Panama (I know there is a
    > local office for
    > them there) ...
    >
    > I've had one + for Dell ... does anyone have any caveats
    > against them? Or
    > kudos too?

    Gigabit ethernet has a maximum rate of ~1.5Mpps. This is
    millions of packets per second. Your server is likely
    3Mbps, which if you figure the average packet size is ~400
    bytes, is more like 1kpps.

    If you are not looking for layer 3 (routing), but just
    a switch, then look @ something like the dlink or linksys(cisco)
    layer 2 offers, compared vs e.g. a cisco cat2970.
    DGS-3224TG is what i use. Something like the linksys
    SR2024 is probably fine.