Re: kern/115413: [ipv6] ipv6 pmtu not working

At Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:35:05 +0200,
Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But I'm not sure if I understood well - you suspect that only 8 bytes of
tcp header are copied from the original tcp packet to the icmp message
by the router?

No, the router is only required (by the RFCs) to quote the first 8 bytes
of the TCP header.

This is not true for IPv6. From Section 2.4 of RFC4443:

(c) Every ICMPv6 error message (type < 128) MUST include as much of
the IPv6 offending (invoking) packet (the packet that caused the
error) as possible without making the error message packet exceed
the minimum IPv6 MTU [IPv6].

JINMEI, Tatuya
Communication Platform Lab.
Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
jinmei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: kern/115413: [ipv6] ipv6 pmtu not working
    ... tcp header are copied from the original tcp packet to the icmp message ... the router is only required to quote the first 8 bytes ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: kern/115413: [ipv6] ipv6 pmtu not working
    ... We're accessing th_flags from the TCP header embedded in the ICMPv6 ... tcp header are copied from the original tcp packet to the icmp message ... TCP packet in the icmp message looks like almost complete (of course it ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: UPNP/SSDP
    ... otherwise it's just a glorified packet filter with a set of rules. ... neither a NAT nor a router are referred to as packet filters. ... a NAT router for broadband internet does not do this, ... router to route traffic b/w two or more private networks and the internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Nmap questions concering my router
    ... has only one interface, ... as having a chunk of space in the computer much like a hotel room. ... >is) directly connected to my router, which i dont set up a NAT yet. ... Which IP address is the packet addressed to? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IIS5 Passive FTP Networking problem (long)
    ... or do away with the router entirely (and the hardware based ... > had the ability to run an FTP server behind it without changing the IP ... The NAT changes the PASV response ... translate the address fields of a packet. ...