Re: kern/115413: [ipv6] ipv6 pmtu not working

At Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:35:05 +0200,
Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But I'm not sure if I understood well - you suspect that only 8 bytes of
tcp header are copied from the original tcp packet to the icmp message
by the router?

No, the router is only required (by the RFCs) to quote the first 8 bytes
of the TCP header.

This is not true for IPv6. From Section 2.4 of RFC4443:

(c) Every ICMPv6 error message (type < 128) MUST include as much of
the IPv6 offending (invoking) packet (the packet that caused the
error) as possible without making the error message packet exceed
the minimum IPv6 MTU [IPv6].

JINMEI, Tatuya
Communication Platform Lab.
Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.