Strange DNS problem

I am running a local dns server (bind9). It works ok for the
most part but a number of domains do not resolve and I have
not been able to detect any pattern. For instance

$ host
Host not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Here is the tcpdump output (on the internal side):

21:45:14.662220 IP > 16136+ A? (29)
21:45:14.662696 IP > 16136 ServFail 0/0/0 (29)
21:45:14.663090 IP > 4383+ A? (43)
21:45:14.663193 IP > 4383 NXDomain* 0/1/0 (94)

What is strange is *nothing* goes out of my network when such
a failure occurs! [My gateway machine does NAT on the
internal side but the symptom is the same on the gateway

I ignored the problem for a while but recently I noticed a few
more domains do not resolve! May be nothing has changed since
I didn't try these domains before.

This is on 8.2-release (but the symptom was the same with 8.1
and may be earlier).

I checked named.conf and AFAIK it seems ok -- it has not
changed substantially since 2006 (I moved to a different IP
block and had to change my ISP's dns server address -- it is
my secondary).

I'd appreciate any hints on how to diagnose this. Thansks!

freebsd-net@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-net-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RWW Issue
    ... can resolve this issue: ... | I remote desktop into it. ... | desktop is enabled to allow remote connections. ... | DNS server failed the update request. ...
  • Re: logonserver
    ... If you demote a DC the name is NOT removed in AD sites and services, this has to be done manual, so what you see is expected because it was still in the site. ... 'Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS Wrote: ... Have you configured a FORWARDER in ALL DNS server properties to your ... get problems when I try to resolve certain domains and as a result I ...
  • Re: Any way to trick DNS?
    ... > has a record called that replicates to every DC ... > Can we force the DNS server in Site C to search a child domain first ... > and resolve it to ... please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup ...
  • Re[2]: dns question
    ... deleting the exisiting nameserver statements, ... addresses from the ISP obtained via DHCP. ... I wasn't expecting the server to be able to resolve any other ... you have told your DNS server what it needs to do. ...
  • RE: Group Policies Events 1030 & 1058
    ... > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... >>> For I don't know what actions have you done to resolve the issue, ... The IP address for the Primary DNS server must be the internal IP ...