Re: VIA VT6105 Rhine III on FreeBSD 4.9 Release

From: Martin Hudec (corwin_at_aeternal.net)
Date: 12/17/03

    To: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
    Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:51:23 +0100

    Hi there,

    this network card is able to work with 4.9 release, as they say in hardware
    compatibility list:

    VIA Technologies VT3043 ``Rhine I'', VT86C100A ``Rhine II'', and VT6105/
    VT6105M ``Rhine III'' Fast Ethernet NICs ( vr(4) driver)

    Maybe your kernel is not configured for this card (GENERIC kernel misses a lot
    of stuff :))

    This card requires these devices in kernel:
    device miibus
    device vr

    Take a look into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, there is a file named GENERIC which
    holds configuration of your kernel. Try to look for those devices inside.

    cheers,
    M.

    --
    :
    :. kind regards

    • SMP oops on Xseries235
      ... While the machine seems stable on a single processor kernel, ... the Digi RAS card inside the server. ... and it appears stable in this configuration. ... # Loadable module support ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: SUSE 10
      ... > Fritz Box SL Wlan and get an IP Adress, ... or the Netgear MA301 PCI Card. ... kernel source for the running kernel available as you will be building a ... Configuration successful. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Dual NIC 8139too card, eth1 IRQ=0
      ... This should be possible via a kernel boot parameter - which you can then ... the card is an Advantech MIO-3130-00A1E ... The first NIC works as expected, zero issues or configuration quirks. ... the problem is still your BIOS. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • allocation failures with CBQ bandwidth limiting & high net use (was Re: Filesystem kernel hangup
      ... limiting, queuing and prioritization, *and* high network use (using ... "full_kernel_output" file for an idea of what kernel messages I was ... My IRQ is shared with that above TV card, ... kernel messages for about two hours from boot to crash). ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • athlon-xp + fakeraid regression
      ... The build completes fine, the kernel boots fine, the machine will seem to be fine as long as it remains quiescent. ... At the beginning, just after hitting enter on the make command, one of the ad4 disk light goes on solid for several seconds. ... There is a well known thing where these cheap pata fakeraid cards will try to do ata133 if the drive says it can, when really, even if he drives are new ata133 drives and the cables are new and short and shielded, you still shouldn't try to do ata133 since the spec is too tight and you'll just get bit errors or other failures. ... The fix is use ata100 somehow, either by disabling dma entirely in loader.conf (since you have no more selective option there, and the raid card bios never has an option for controlling pio/dma mode like motherboard bios's have) and then use atacontrol in rc.early to set udma5, or by using disks that can only do ata100 and only advertise ata100 to the controller. ...
      (freebsd-current)