Re: Going small

From: John Murphy (jfm_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 04/23/04

    To: newbies@freebsd.org
    Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:40:05 +0100

    Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

    >John Murphy wrote:
    >
    >>options CPU_GEODE # Mandatory
    >>
    >I checked in NOTES and it says nothing of this option, how and where did
    >you get it, I thought /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES contained all valid
    >options?

    http://phk.freebsd.dk/soekris/kern48xx.html
    No idea why it's not mentioned in NOTES though, perhaps it will be in 5.3.

    >>options SYSVSHM #SYSV-style shared memory
    >>options SYSVMSG #SYSV-style message queues
    >>options SYSVSEM #SYSV-style semaphores
    >
    >You might be able to remove those options, if I remember right it
    >explains in the freebsd handbook why you don't (and do) need these options.

    Yep just had a look in the manual. The second two are only "a few hundred
    bytes" each though.

    >>device isa
    >>
    >Arn't you dealing with a pci only board and chipset, why do you need isa
    >support?

    The serial ports require the isa bus:
    sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
    sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0

    And there's a bridge too:
    isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> port 0x6200-0x623f,0x6100-0x613f at device 18.0 on pci0
    isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

    >Also setting make options will make things leaner and meaner too.
    >something like (this is just an example, don't build anything with this
    >set of options and expect it to work):
    >CPUTYPE=i585/mmx

    Hadn't realised the importance of that one, thanks.
    I'll look into the others.

    >Have fun with your new toy :-)

    Seems the amount of time to play is inversely proportional to
    how interesting the new toy ;)

    >I'd love to have one of these but can't justify the cost.

    If you run a normal PC which uses say 0.1KWH it would cost 70 pa.
    to run it 24/7 (In the UK). The soekris at 0.01KWH would cost 7.
    (May help the justification :))

    --
    John.

    • Re: R: How to avoid serial port buffer overruns?
      ... FWIW here is the serial board we are using: ... The hardware guy says "The mn9845cv, have in default 2 serial ports and ... one ISA bus, where we have connected the tl16c554, quad serial port." ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Demise of the COM port?
      ... > fault of the current game-driven PC industry that serial ports become ... I don't see any real technical reason why ... OK, the ISA bus stank. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • R: How to avoid serial port buffer overruns?
      ... The hardware guy says "The mn9845cv, have in default 2 serial ports and ... one ISA bus, where we have connected the tl16c554, quad serial port." ... More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html ... Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/ ...
      (Linux-Kernel)