Re: Time to shut down this list?

From: Gianluca (gianluca_at_gmail.com)
Date: 12/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:18:01 -0800
    To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org

    Hello,
    as a freebsd newbie myself, I'm a little ambivalent about the list and
    the overall attitude towards really FAQ-type questions. no matter how
    many helpful (and knowledgeable) people might monitor this list and
    answer every question, RTFM (not in such a rude way) is a necessary
    answer in the OSS world: if you're installing freebsd and get
    intimidated by the tcsh prompt, there's something intrinsically wrong
    that no number of helpful answers will correct. I did choose freebsd
    over the other free *nixes for my impression of better documentation
    and community support, but especially because there's already an
    awesome piece of documentation like the handbook, questions that are
    really too basic are just adding to the background noise.

    what I'd really like/need as a newbie are more tutorials in the style
    of samba's how-to, i.e. walkthroughs for selected scenarios that are
    representative of real-world use of the OS. stuff like what the
    freebsddiary provides, but much more and more oriented to newbies/home
    users that are probably coming from windows. I'm thinking for example
    of common things like setting up a home firewall, or a simple file
    server (maybe with RAID which is what I'm struggling w/ right now)
    with recommendations all the way from the hardware ("if you're buying
    new, X is more supported than Y" is something I'd really like to see
    explicitly more often) to installation, configuration and maintenance.

    having said that I wouldn't want to see newbies- go though :)

    g.

    • Re: FreeBSD "Live" CD / Couple of other questions to get started
      ... >existing OS but no links to download an already made copy based on the new ... >and .deb are there precompiled packages for FreeBSD? ... you can install a port by ... This list itself is not for newbie support, ...
      (freebsd-newbies)
    • Re: Technical questions and Newbie experience.
      ... > I think we need to have more conversations about our newbie experiences so ... > simply don't know about the resolve.conf feature of FreeBSD 5.x. ... Having been a newbie myself a few months ago (with fairly extensive ... sound servers, firewall, NAT, DHCP server etc.) ...
      (freebsd-newbies)
    • Re: freebsd - for the win
      ... won't help you one bit unless it's backed by real substance. ... While most FreeBSD types may not have much use for glitz and glitter, ... simplicity is systemic. ... newbie on a lot of fronts myself) without damaging that simple ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Newbie help!
      ... you are a newbie as many of us are. ... already gotten some pretty good responses pointing you in the right ... in the screenshots. ... think this is extremely important for newbies to understand, is that FreeBSD ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Absolute FreeBSD
      ... Although I haven't looked much into any FreeBSD book, ... I have just finished it and I would say it does exactly what what Ted and cpghost suggests it should - there are plenty of sections where the author introduces what can be done with a particular tool or part of the OS, and suggests to the reader to investigate further options in the approriate manuals. ... As someone with very limited experience (I'm not sure if I still classify as a *complete* newbie) I found the book an excellent and even entertaining read, which serves it purpose extremely well: to give an overview and introduction, but with enough detail in relevant places to be able to get real, useful stuff done. ... As for the version covered, there are a few bits that explicitly mention version 7, but everything else seemed totally relevant to me on 6.2. ...
      (freebsd-questions)