Re: HELP: how to enable telnet?

From: Joaquin Menchaca (linuxuser_at_finnovative.net)
Date: 01/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:19:48 -0800
    To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org

    Joshua Tinnin wrote:
    > On Monday 17 January 2005 02:39 pm, Joshua Tinnin
    > <krinklyfig@spymac.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>However, later I want to use Windows XP/2K3. They have decent ssh
    >>>client support through tools like putty, but I don't know any good
    >>>sshd solution on Windows.
    >>
    >>I don't know if installing a new OS is an option, but any home
    >>Windows OS pre-2000 is not secure in the first place (i.e., ME, 98,
    >>95). I would not use any of them if security is a consideration.
    >>
    >>BTW, PuTTY works very well, as does installing Cygwin so you can use
    >>its tools (though that is a bit overkill, maybe).
    >

    > Wait, I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you. If you want to run a
    > secure daemon on Windows instead of on *nix, I'm not sure, actually.
    > You might be able to do this with Cygwin, but I've only used it to
    > login to sshd on a *nix machine.
    >
    > - jt

    Oh. At home I have 11 computers: 2 sparcs, 2 macs, 8 pcs (mix of PIVs,
    AMDs, and C3s). They run *nix OSes (SuSE, Fedora, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac
    OS X, Tenon) and of course Winows XP/2K3. I don't bother with older
    OSes, except for experimentation, e.g. learning how older OSes are
    better supported by UNIX than Windows for both performance and security.

    Between computers, I want to have interoperability between them (print,
    file share, X, remoting, rtools/telnet/ftp). For insecure solutions, I
    was interesting in playing with SSL, SSH, Kerberos, and IPSec. Also,
    looking into secure single sign-on facility.

    However, I am far from getting the experiments off the ground. I am
    just barely above getting the darn things to work, with drivers, wi-fi,
    bluetooth, etc. Many companies still uncooperative with open source
    communities, a matter I hope to help proactively.

    In the mean time, I'll get a handle on SSH facilities (as well as
    getting hardware to work).

    Oh, lastly, Cygwin is cool. I'm interested in both cygwin and
    non-cygwin (mingw) solutions for both client/server. I tried all the
    client tools, both putty and ssh, both work well. Never knew that sshd
    was working so well. :->

    Wish there was a way though to redirect the Windows desktop as a X
    client ;->

       -- joaquin