Re: Not able to finish new 4.8 install on Compaq Alphaserver DS20

From: Matthew Seaman (m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk)
Date: 09/08/03

    Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:06:26 +0100
    To: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005@xtra.co.nz>

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:23:55AM +1200, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

    > The problem I have is that once Sysinstall keeps stopping towards the end of
    > the installtion with the following message:
    >
    > "Unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media."
    >
    > "This may be because the packages collection is not available on the
    > distribution media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site without the
    > packages collection mirrored. Please verify that you media, or your path to
    > the media, is correct and try again."

    That's because the mini-iso doesn't contain any packages. However,
    apart from installing some third party packages, you have, in fact,
    successfully installed FreeBSD.

    I suggest that you quit out of sysinstall, boot up your system in
    FreeBSD, log in, make sure you set up the networking correctly and:

    Either: install the cvsup-without-gui port by:

        # pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui

    Then use cvsup(1) to pull down the latest ports tree (see Appendix A.5
    of the handbook for instructions:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html)
    and install the extra software that you want via the ports(7) system.
    Each time you update the ports tree, remember to run 'make index' to
    regenerate the INDEX file. That takes a little time, as it has to
    chew through about 9,100 ports and sort out all of the dependencies
    and so forth.

    Highly recommended (if you choose this route) that the first port
    you install should be sysutils/portupgrade, then use portupgrade to
    install everything else.

    Or: from within FreeBSD, run sysinstall -- for 4.{8,9} it's
    /stand/sysinstall, for 5.x it's /usr/sbin/sysinstall, go into the
    Options section, set your installation media to FTP, choose a nearby
    FTP server, then go into the 'Configuration' section and 'Packages'
    within that. This will download the packages/INDEX from the FTP
    server and give you a fairly easy way to install what packages you
    require.

            Cheers,

            Matthew

                                                          Savill Way