Re: Not able to finish new 4.8 install on Compaq Alphaserver DS20

From: Matthew Seaman (m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk)
Date: 09/08/03

    Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:06:26 +0100
    To: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005@xtra.co.nz>

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:23:55AM +1200, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

    > The problem I have is that once Sysinstall keeps stopping towards the end of
    > the installtion with the following message:
    >
    > "Unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media."
    >
    > "This may be because the packages collection is not available on the
    > distribution media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site without the
    > packages collection mirrored. Please verify that you media, or your path to
    > the media, is correct and try again."

    That's because the mini-iso doesn't contain any packages. However,
    apart from installing some third party packages, you have, in fact,
    successfully installed FreeBSD.

    I suggest that you quit out of sysinstall, boot up your system in
    FreeBSD, log in, make sure you set up the networking correctly and:

    Either: install the cvsup-without-gui port by:

        # pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui

    Then use cvsup(1) to pull down the latest ports tree (see Appendix A.5
    of the handbook for instructions:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html)
    and install the extra software that you want via the ports(7) system.
    Each time you update the ports tree, remember to run 'make index' to
    regenerate the INDEX file. That takes a little time, as it has to
    chew through about 9,100 ports and sort out all of the dependencies
    and so forth.

    Highly recommended (if you choose this route) that the first port
    you install should be sysutils/portupgrade, then use portupgrade to
    install everything else.

    Or: from within FreeBSD, run sysinstall -- for 4.{8,9} it's
    /stand/sysinstall, for 5.x it's /usr/sbin/sysinstall, go into the
    Options section, set your installation media to FTP, choose a nearby
    FTP server, then go into the 'Configuration' section and 'Packages'
    within that. This will download the packages/INDEX from the FTP
    server and give you a fairly easy way to install what packages you
    require.

            Cheers,

            Matthew

                                                          Savill Way

    • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
      ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
      ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Which debian sources to use to install to Knoppix 4.0.2?
      ... running into a problem when I install software to version 4.0.2 that I ... Check out the list of extra packages to be installed, ... akregator ark cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gcc-4.0-base gs-common ... kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdf ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed
      ... So tried to upgrade OO to 2.0 but Apt refused to do so. ... Aptitude doesn't show anything but Wajig shows unmet dependency for kdelibs-data. ... The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED: agsync arson barcode brahms cdda2wav cddb digikam digikamimageplugins gmessage guarddog guidedog hotswap-gui hotswap-text i2e id3v2 kbarcode kbear kbiff kdebase-dev kdirstat kile kimdaba klog klogic kmymoney2 knetfilter knutclient komba2 kover kprof kpsk krusader ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder ksimus-floatingpoint ksocrat ksocrat-data kvdr kvirc kvirc-data kvirc-doc kwavecontrol kxmleditor lesstif2 libdynamite libimlib2-dev libkonq4-dev libmimedir liborange ... ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# wajig install openoffice.org Reading Package Lists... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [SLE] 9.1 to 9.3 Upgrade
      ... Use Konqueror to browse the ftp and find the directories you want to download ... You can use Search if you want specific packages or Package Groups and then ... list -> Upgrade if newer version is available. ... Install Sources and insert the CD in the drive or copy it to the HDD. ...
      (SuSE)