RE: how to tell if my ISP is blocking email & web ports

From: fbsd_user (fbsd_user_at_a1poweruser.com)
Date: 01/22/04

    To: "michael Alexander" <linux@milwaukeevalve.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
    Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:22:07 -0500

    Thanks to all of you that responded.

    I did not want to install Apache just to have something listening
    on port 80. So I edited /etc/services and commented out the
    http 80 statements and the telnet 23 statements and them copied
    the telnet tcp statement and changes it's port to 80.
    Enabled inetd in rc.conf.

    I used one of my LAN PC's to telnet into to port 80 and it worked.
    I then called my friend with winme box who uses different ISP.
    He logged on and used native dos to try to telnet into my
    port 25 and 80. In both cases he was not able to connect to my
    IP address.
    This proves that Adelphia cable service is blocking those 2 ports.