mounting usb camera - no /dev/da* !!!

From: Ben Paley (ben_at_spooty.net)
Date: 05/17/04

    To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
    Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:50:45 +0100

    Hello,

    In the past I've always been able to mount USB devices (a card reader and a
    webcam) as msdosfs at /dev/da0 or some such... my new camera's not playing
    that game.

    It's a Kodak EasyShare DX4530. I've unplugged all my other usb devices to test
    things, and booted up with it plugged in.

    usbdevs -dv shows:

    Controller /dev/usb0:
    addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
    Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
      uhub0
     port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, KODAK EasyShare DX4530
    Zoom Digital Camera(0x0576), Eastman Kodak Company(0x040a), rev 1.00
       ugen0
     port 2 addr 3: full speed, self powered, config 1, USB HUB(0x0e01), vendor
    0x0000(0x0000), rev 0.04
       uhub1
      port 1 powered
      port 2 powered
      port 3 powered
      port 4 powered

    --------------------------------

    Only three new entries are created in /dev when I plug it in: /dev/ugen0,
    dev/ugen0.1 and /dev/ugen0.2, none of which are mountable in the normal way as
    msdosfs (I get "Block device needed")

    Digikam detects it fine and correctly, but when I try to look at it says
    "Failed to initialize camera.
    Please ensure camera is connected properly and turned on"

    In the meantime Windows has no problem with it at all. This state of affairs
    must not be allowed to continue, by mine honour.

    plugging it in gives

    -bash-2.05b$ ugen0: Eastman Kodak Company KODAK EasyShare DX4530 Zoom Digital
    Camera, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2

    and unplugging it

    -bash-2.05b$ ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected ugen0: detached

    Any help or advice greatly appreciated

    Cheers,
    Ben

    • Re: cannot detect camera/card reader
      ... "USB devices are supposed to draw between 50 and 500 milliamps. ... if the camera draws less ... the port will not recognize it. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: External USB Drive not detected
      ... "USB device recognized. ... One of the USB devices attached to the computer ... I then plugged a regular 2G memory stick into the same port, ... port without having to rely on your Windows installation. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: USB Device can Perform Faster......
      ... I have an 8 port USB2 Controller. ... All my USB devices are plugged into ... All my devices work, but I keep getting this message. ...
      (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
    • Re: Wont reboot - blue screen only
      ... So it's any USB device into any port? ... if there are no USB devices plugged in! ... > And would it be too much to ask you to provide the BSOD error message? ... As stated in the original script, it won't boot in safe mode,>> last ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)