Re: How to start netatalk?

From: Matthew Seaman (m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk)
Date: 10/18/04

    Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:33:37 +0100
    To: Choy Kho Yee <khoyee@tf7.so-net.ne.jp>

    On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:37:30PM +0900, Choy Kho Yee wrote:
    > Hi, I want to share files between FreeBSD 5.3 and Mac OS X.
    > I have compiled my kernel with the NETATALK option, and installed
    > netatalk 2.0 from the port. What should I do now?

    Forget all about netatalk -- that's a hold over from the old MacOS 9
    days. MacOS X does both NFS and Samba out of the box. Either of
    which would be a better choice. NFS is native to both platforms and
    probably the quickest to set up, but you'll have to synchronise UID
    and GID numbers between server and client for the user accounts that
    use it. Samba requires your installing some 3rd party software on the
    FreeBSD side, and working out how you're going to authenticate one to
    the other.

            Cheers,

            Matthew

                                                          Savill Way