Re: How to start netatalk?

From: Matthew Seaman (m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk)
Date: 10/18/04

    Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:33:37 +0100
    To: Choy Kho Yee <khoyee@tf7.so-net.ne.jp>

    On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:37:30PM +0900, Choy Kho Yee wrote:
    > Hi, I want to share files between FreeBSD 5.3 and Mac OS X.
    > I have compiled my kernel with the NETATALK option, and installed
    > netatalk 2.0 from the port. What should I do now?

    Forget all about netatalk -- that's a hold over from the old MacOS 9
    days. MacOS X does both NFS and Samba out of the box. Either of
    which would be a better choice. NFS is native to both platforms and
    probably the quickest to set up, but you'll have to synchronise UID
    and GID numbers between server and client for the user accounts that
    use it. Samba requires your installing some 3rd party software on the
    FreeBSD side, and working out how you're going to authenticate one to
    the other.

            Cheers,

            Matthew

                                                          Savill Way

    • Re: Printing over Samba
      ... machine A (with Samba) does is to forward the data - it is the machine B ... Samba invokes unix (FreeBSD) printing system and tells it to print ... As I understand there is a way to store printer drivers on a server (under ... installing the printer drivers by other means. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: How to start netatalk?
      ... I want to share files between FreeBSD 5.3 and Mac OS X. ... >> netatalk 2.0 from the port. ... MacOS X does both NFS and Samba out of the box. ... Samba requires your installing some 3rd party software on the ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: file sharing between ubuntu and leopard
      ... as OS X ships with Samba. ... However installing ... By using Netatalk and Avahi its use is completely hassle free. ... Why do you think Netatalk is better than CIFS for OS X->linux file ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Perl administration for Linux fileserver
      ... Old Mac use netatalk ... but Mac OS X can use samba, appletalk, even NFS. ... > create 'real' unix user accounts, or can I use something like the ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Looking for someone actively using netatalk on 5-CURRENT, willing to , try patches
      ... I'm currently working through various parts of the network subsystem in ... order for us to push Giant off the network stack top-to-bottom. ... However, I don't have any systems using netatalk, or experience ... Using netatalk actively on FreeBSD 5-CURRENT. ...
      (freebsd-current)