Re: Req: Good virtual mail server howto

From: Ruben de Groot (mail25_at_bzerk.org)
Date: 11/19/04

    Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:39:43 +0100
    To: "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>

    On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:35:22AM -0500, Haulmark, Chris typed:
    > Someone broke the silence:
    >
    > > I personally like qmail, we use it on our mail server, and like you we
    > > didn't want to give system accounts so we did it with a mysql patch.
    > > It took awhile to get up and running but now that it is running we
    > > have a php script which handles user management, etc.
    > >
    > > www.lifewithqmail.org is a good place to get a start on it.
    > > http://iain.cx/qmail/mysql/ is the version of qmail we used though
    > > documentation is limited and it sometimes can be a little tricky. It
    > > can be compiled in /usr/ports/mail/qmail-mysql though.
    > >
    > > Best of luck
    > >

    > If you opt for using postfix, I like using the www.high5.com howto which also includes using postfix admin to manage your virtual users.

    Come on guys, the OP is asking for a virtual pop3/imap server. Not an MTA
    like qmail or postfix. So let him decide on that first and then see which MTA
    goes best with his choice.
    Both courier and cyrus have support for virtual users and domains. Both are in
    the portstree and both are well-documented on the web. google around.

    > > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:07:40 +0000, Chris Smith
    > > <chris@ninjalabs.co.uk> wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone got any good resources for configuring a virtual pop3/imap
    > >> server under FreeBSD 5.x? I need to host mail for more than one
    > >> domain and do not wish to give users system accounts.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Chris Smith
    >
    > Chris Haulmark

    • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
      ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... But after many years testing nearly every mail server, ... to compare it to Postfix. ... MTA of their Firewall. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [OT] Which one is best MTA for me?
      ... wondering what mail server big ISP are running. ... I can't decide postfix ... or qmail. ... Once you got the queue stuck with a lot e-mails that can ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • RE: Ideal mail server: qmail or postfix
      ... I use both postfix and qmail for various different reasons. ... sendmail already I would suggest that you look in that direction. ... services and we are looking at incorporating mail server services. ...
      (freebsd-isp)
    • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
      ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... But after many years testing nearly every mail server, ... to compare it to Postfix. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] Virtual domain, between Postfix and Qmail
      ... If the question is "Which MTA should I use?" ... What features were the deciding factor for you to choose Qmail? ... to compare it to Postfix. ... in Sendmail. ...
      (SuSE)