Re: Free BSD documentation required

From: Joe Altman (fj_at_panix.com)
Date: 12/09/04

    Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:52:58 -0500
    To: Milind Nanal <milindyn@rolta.com>

    On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:55:11PM +0530, Milind Nanal wrote:

    > List,
    >
    > I am new to FreeBSD & finding is little difficult with administrative
    > commands. I have worked on RedHat & Suse. Service startup, boot scripts,
    > pstree command everything seems to be different in FreeBsd compare to
    > RedHat or Suse.
    >
    > Can any give me good ref URL other that FreeBSD.org to refer BSD documents.
    > Basic admin guide, security guide, tools, commands & tips & tricks, HOWTO is
    > required to get hold the OS & explore in a better manner.

    links /usr/share/doc/

    links /usr/share/examples/

    Or if you have an X session, run links -g on the two paths.

    I found OnLamp articles by Dru to be very helpful; and this seems
    apropos to your needs:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/11/11/FreeBSD_Basics.html

    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/ct/15

    Michael Lucas is also noteworthy:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13

    Dan Langille has a site, and he posts here regularly with updates:

    http://www.freebsddiary.org/

    • Re: Free BSD documentation required
      ... >I am new to FreeBSD & finding is little difficult with administrative ... >commands. ... I have worked on RedHat & Suse. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • [SLE] SuSE or KDE?
      ... I use SuSE 9.1 with KDE 3.2: ... I have not such problem in RedHat. ... 5- When I login to a user other than root, ... For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@suse.com ...
      (SuSE)