Re: triple monitor hardware setup on FBSD - suggestions needed...

From: Vulpes Velox (v.velox_at_vvelox.net)
Date: 01/02/05

    Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:12:51 -0600
    To: Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:45:49 -0800 (PST)
    Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I am currently running a triple-monitor setup under
    > winXP, with an extended desktop that stretches across
    > all three monitors. I like it.
    >
    > I would, however, like to use FreeBSD.
    >
    > So, first off, what hardware (video card) comes to
    > mind for doing triple screens with FreeBSD ? A matrox
    > P750 comes to mind, but when you run it with three
    > screens, they downgrade to 1280x1024, which is bad. I
    > am happy to consider multiple video cards to
    > accomplish this ... at the very least I need 1600x1200
    > out of each card, preferably 1920x1200 ...

    You can run as many as the motherboard and powersupply will allow for
    ^_^

    > Second, what is the support for something like this in
    > XFree86, or x.org ?

    Really nice for cards that support it. I personally would suggest
    looking at nvidia cards.

    > What I am really looking for is
    > the ability to create virtually sized screens - so
    > instead of having three total (physical) screens that
    > I can maximize windows inside of, I want to split each
    > physical screen in half for a total of 6 virtual
    > screens - so there are six total areas within which I
    > can maximize a window in ... this is something I am
    > really trying to accomplish.

    I am a little lost on what you mean by virtual screen. But what you
    want is xinerama and a window manager that nicely supports it. Fluxbox
    last I checked did it nicely. Any ways, window placement and
    maximization and the like are a job of the window manager, not the X
    server.

    I eventually got annoyed with the xinerama part and went back to just
    letting them act like three seperate screens.