Re: triple monitor hardware setup on FBSD - suggestions needed...

From: Vulpes Velox (v.velox_at_vvelox.net)
Date: 01/02/05

    Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:12:51 -0600
    To: Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:45:49 -0800 (PST)
    Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I am currently running a triple-monitor setup under
    > winXP, with an extended desktop that stretches across
    > all three monitors. I like it.
    >
    > I would, however, like to use FreeBSD.
    >
    > So, first off, what hardware (video card) comes to
    > mind for doing triple screens with FreeBSD ? A matrox
    > P750 comes to mind, but when you run it with three
    > screens, they downgrade to 1280x1024, which is bad. I
    > am happy to consider multiple video cards to
    > accomplish this ... at the very least I need 1600x1200
    > out of each card, preferably 1920x1200 ...

    You can run as many as the motherboard and powersupply will allow for
    ^_^

    > Second, what is the support for something like this in
    > XFree86, or x.org ?

    Really nice for cards that support it. I personally would suggest
    looking at nvidia cards.

    > What I am really looking for is
    > the ability to create virtually sized screens - so
    > instead of having three total (physical) screens that
    > I can maximize windows inside of, I want to split each
    > physical screen in half for a total of 6 virtual
    > screens - so there are six total areas within which I
    > can maximize a window in ... this is something I am
    > really trying to accomplish.

    I am a little lost on what you mean by virtual screen. But what you
    want is xinerama and a window manager that nicely supports it. Fluxbox
    last I checked did it nicely. Any ways, window placement and
    maximization and the like are a job of the window manager, not the X
    server.

    I eventually got annoyed with the xinerama part and went back to just
    letting them act like three seperate screens.

    • different (not new) video card woes
      ... I changed video cards. ... Due to a mix-up, I bought a new video card ... I have 8 virtual screens, ... Also, if I show a web page of mostly white in a big window, it's fine. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Market Share, Tablets, and the Future of Computing
      ... This sort of augmented reality is not really all that far away. ... own window and letting the user sort it out. ... How do you propose to make use of such different sized screens without ... comparative disadvantage. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: [9fans] Equis and parallels on mac (long!)
      ... or in a big window ... to make the parallels window full-screen before starting equis. ... as soon as the fat plan 9 mouse cursor hits the ... number of screens: 1 ...
      (comp.os.plan9)
    • Re: Saving an Internet Explorer STATIC Web Page
      ... > What good is saving something if it isn't saved. ... >> noticed the download dialog window that pops up when you attempt to save ... > because the page may be several screens long. ... >> actually could save a static copy when your browser window occupied half ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Q: how do I open xterm, run command, and continue manual input?
      ... Screen is in fact a much more useful window manager than the GUI ones. ... Then you can invoke multiple xterms in each of those ... > a graphical display of virtual desktops. ... > screens at once because you remember what was where, ...
      (comp.unix.questions)