RE: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

From: Paul Krill (Paul_Krill_at_infoworld.com)
Date: 01/05/05

    To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
    Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:37:56 -0800

    Thank you very much for your help. I had some follow-up questions.

    * For background, FreeBSD wants to distribute the JDK with the FreeBSD OS?
    FreeBSD's implementation of specific Java technologies? Both?
    * Which version of the JDK has FreeBSD been prevented from redistributing?
    Are there cost issues involved?
    * Please state your specific affiliation with FreeBSD.

    "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
    01/05/2005 11:29 AM

            To: "Paul Krill" <Paul_Krill@infoworld.com>, "Joshua Lokken"
    <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
            cc: "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>, <glewis@freebsd.org>,
    <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
            Subject: RE: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

    Hi Paul,

      Hey, good luck to you! The basic root of the problem as I understand
    it is that Sun license for the JDK 1.3 originally prevented redistribution
    of the
    JDK with the FreeBSD which is something that the Project wanted to be
    able to do for obvious reasons. As a result the FreeBSD Foundation worked
    with Sun to make some modifications to the Sun license to allow this,
    as a result the JDK 1.3 can now be redistributed.

      Unfortunately with the newer JDKs Sun once again changed the licensing
    terms and the original people at Sun who came up to speed to understand
    the issues are no longer there, and there's a new set of people there
    in charge of this who are more busy with bigger fish to fry.

      It's of course quite legal for end users to download the JDK directly
    from Sun and compile it on FreeBSD themselves and then use it. There's
    no shortage of development time available to get the newer JDK's working
    on the latest FreeBSD versions and many people have already done so.
    The problem is in the licensing issues. If you puruse the Sun website
    the licensing terms are quite vague on Java as it is and half of them
    don't reconcile with public statements that various Sun officials have
    made at one time or another.

      I think there is a story there for you but more along the lines of:
    "Sun's wishy-washy licensing terms driving people away from Java"
    along with a story about how it pretty much takes a tema of expert
    lawyers to figure out if a business is in compliance with Sun's terms
    or not - and even then you don't know if Sun is going to come after you
    for royalty payments or not at some point in the future.

      Just try reading the many Sun licenses for Java off their website and
    try to imagine where a typical high tech company would fall in and you
    will see what I mean.

    Ted Mittelstaedt
    Author: The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide. Addison-Wesley, 2000.
    tedm@toybox.placo.com