Re: Where do all the passwd get saved ?

From: Pat Maddox (pergesu_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/06/05

    Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:00:19 -0700
    To: Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>

    /etc/passwd is a system file that just lists accounts. Having the
    passwords in there is insecure because it has to be readable by
    everyone. In linux systems, the actual passwords are in /etc/shadow.

    I don't know exactly how FreeBSD handles passwords. I don't even
    think it uses /etc/passwd (only there for compatibility with some
    linux software?), and instead keeps everything in a hashed database
    file. My guess is that all the passwords are in spwd.db.

    But I don't know that for sure :) Hopefully somebody else can clarify this.

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:45:09 +0100, Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I thought it was /etc/passwd but that seemed not to be where i was
    > looking for :)

    • RE: passw0rd trial limit
      ... There are many "Default Password Lists" on the internet that are fairly ... compiled a personal list of passwords that I've run across. ... managed service can help you: http://www.cenzic.com/news_events/wpappsec.php ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: Rainbow Tables
      ... That was the first thing I tried, placed the cracked passwords into a file and added it to the password list in LC5, removed the other lists just to make sure it was working but it didn't make any difference, it was like the dictionary attack didn't see the numbers or characters. ... Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Anatomy of a hack: How crackers ransack passwords like `qeadzcwrsfxv1331
      ... How crackers ransack passwords like ... The list contained 16,449 passwords converted into hashes using ... As big as the word lists that all three crackers in this article ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Dial-Up Percentage Abuse
      ... Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I really didn't know any other lists ... account and using that account to launch attacks on systems and do generally ... to select secure passwords (8 char+ w/ numbers, ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. ...
      (Incidents)