Re: Where do all the passwd get saved ?

From: Pat Maddox (pergesu_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/06/05

    Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:00:19 -0700
    To: Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>

    /etc/passwd is a system file that just lists accounts. Having the
    passwords in there is insecure because it has to be readable by
    everyone. In linux systems, the actual passwords are in /etc/shadow.

    I don't know exactly how FreeBSD handles passwords. I don't even
    think it uses /etc/passwd (only there for compatibility with some
    linux software?), and instead keeps everything in a hashed database
    file. My guess is that all the passwords are in spwd.db.

    But I don't know that for sure :) Hopefully somebody else can clarify this.