How to restore MBR / boot0

From: Jörg Reisenweber (me_at_reusel.de)
Date: 07/29/05

    To: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:57:12 +0200

    Hi list,

    I know the command how to restore the MBR ('fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0
    ad0), but know this stupid question of mine (Windows has overwritten
    the old MBR with its own): How do I manage to get to a working prompt
    with at least some useful commands such as 'mount' available? I tried
    the fixit shell from my 5.4-bootonly disk but that didn't help me
    very much. :/

    Please help! :)

    Jörg_______________________________________________

    • Re: I accidently deleted MBR
      ... i deleted the MBR then i would be able to boot into windows xp and try to ... Will i have to install everything again or can i recover a MBR to get back ... Boot using a bootable floppy and run 'fdisk /mbr'. ... boot.ini file in the Windows partition. ...
    • Re: Fixmbr doesnt fix mbr
      ... multiboot manager that usurps the bootstrap code area of the MBR (GAG, ... Only one operating system, Windows XP, with its standard boot. ... partition to it? ... strange thing is that FIXMBR doesn't work neither on the second hard disk. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: dual booting XP and Linux
      ... /dev/hda - MBR ... I don't worry too much now, since I'm booting fine into GRUB and from there ... > Millions of people are using to grub to boot Linux and/or Windows.. ... I like the idea of removing the hard drives because it is safe. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: What is best way to fix MBR in XP?
      ... Use MBRWizard to save and restore it. ... >restore the MBR of the C drive to its Windows XP state? ... >Windows XP master boot record back to its normal state so ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Boot Problems
      ... This sounds much like a mbr problem. ... Then see if the system boots windows. ... and it seems that you have managed to screw your linux grub installation. ... This is more probably due to patches that you have loaded or configuration ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)