RE: Software RAID1

From: Gayn Winters (gayn.winters_at_bristolsystems.com)
Date: 09/15/05

    To: "'Jason King'" <jking@informs.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
    Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:12:10 -0700

    Those instructions work fine, but you have to be very careful following
    them. (See below)

    An alternate way to use gmirror for software mirroring as is described
    in

    http://dannyman.toldme.com/2005/01/24/freebsd-howto-gmirror-system/

    These work fine as well.

    Ralf's instructions, which you quote above, have the advantage of not
    needing to go into Fixit mode using the 5.4 boot CD (hence it can be
    executed remotely); however, it takes more typing and more reboots.

    If you use the latter, note that Ralf uses ATA drives ad0 and ad1, while
    it looks like you may have da0 and da1. You need to make the
    appropriate transliteration ad --> da very carefully, especially in the
    line for the boot loader where ad(1,a) --> da(1,a).

    This latter paper also outlines how to mirror at the slice, rather than
    the disk, level.

    One final hint: if you are playing around with gmirror on the same
    disks, you can get into a situation where one attempt has left gmirror
    information on the last sector of your disks. This will confuse
    gmirror, and you will have to load and use gmirror to clear it out. (or
    zero the entire disk with dd if=/dev/zero.) Read the man pages on
    gmirror in any case!!!

    Best of luck,

    -gayn

    • RE: <$100 SATA RAID Card 5.3 compatible
      ... >> RAID1. ... I'm looking into gmirror, but it seems like it might be ... > gmirror will see the new disk at boot and DTRT. ... I ended up installing a minimal installation on one disk, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Moving to RAID1
      ... I get this error now when trying to insert the disk ... gmirror: Provider ad14 too small. ... found in freebsd handbook about setting up RAID1 ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • PERC 4D/i -o- Software RAID ? (dell PE2650)
      ... I'm going to install FreeBSD 6.2 on top of these 5 disk. ... -2x in RAID1 for the DATA ... I have ZERO experience with PERC 4D/i about reliability/performance. ... I have confident experience with GMIRROR. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: <$100 SATA RAID Card 5.3 compatible
      ... >> the hardware and go with gmirror. ... gmirror will see the new disk at boot and DTRT. ... Or have you seen too many horror stories on the mailing lists? ... As RAID1 solutions go, gmirror take a lot of the ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: fix remote degraded gmirror
      ... instructions. ... Gmirror is block level mirroring which why no other steps ... In addition the disk doesn't have exactly the same length so when I tried ...
      (freebsd-questions)