Re: grub doesn't know ufs filesystem

Hi Micah and Harley,

Thanks for your answer.

Humm.. I don't have any other grub on my path, and running
which returns:
# which grub
/usr/local/sbin/grub

The ports were updated quite recently.. in occasion of
last update world.

I did some more testing.. the strange thing is that I use
the same grub boot floppy and the results are ok on the
newly installed freebsd boxes, while on the two that
are already installed the results are bad..

test 1: ======= - made a grub floppy - boot the existing FreeBSD boxes (2 boxes) from grub floppy result --> grub doesn't know the ufs filesystem

test 2:
=======
- installed a brand new FreeBSD 5-3-RELEASE with default
  partitioning on the whole disk on a separate pc
- boot with grub floppy
result --> grub recognizes the ufs filesystem

test 3:
=======
- same as test2, but / root has now soft-updates option
- boot with grub floppy
result --> grub recognizes the ufs filesystem

test 4:
=======
- same as test2, but partitioning done with partition magic
  as was done on the computers of test1
- boot with grub floppy
result --> grub recognizes the ufs filesystem

All that seams to point out that there's something wrong
with the existing FreeBSD boxes.. but What? I must say
that both boxes had all filesystem dumped and restored
after repartitioning for permitting the use of dumping
software such as ghost (that didn't like the partitioning
done by freebsd during installation..)

Any more ideas?