Re: Kernel Compilation...

Robert Slade wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 16:15, Crispy Beef wrote:

Hi All,

Just joined this list. The last time I used FreeBSD was with 4.6-RELEASE, so a while ago now. I have just installed 6.0-RELEASE on my old laptop and have been configuring the system, am onto the kernel at the moment, have followed the traditional method in the FreeBSD handbook. All works fine (make depends) until I do 'make' then I get a compilation error as follows:

/usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atapci/../../../dev/ata/ata-chipset.c:617:
internal compiler error: Segmentation fault: 11
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atapci.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ata.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LAPTOP.

Last time I had an error with USB Mass Storage do I disabled it in my config hoping the kernel would compile, am starting to think this is something a bit more serious.

Any thoughts?

--
Paul

Paul,

Welcome.

If you will take some advise from a 'newbe' I suggest that you use the
new method - I have done a kernel compile quite a few times with no
problems using it.

The only time I had problems with compiling was when I got the config
file wrong. I did find that after a failed compile I needed to clear out
the old obj libraries before trying again.

Rob

Will take advice from anybody. :-)

Whenever I have a failed compile I generally do a 'make cleandepends' and make clean first just to make sure it's all going from scratch. Might try the new method later and see if that gives me better results.

Cheers.

Paul

  • Problems with custom kernel fbsd 6.2
    ... My kernel for freebsd 6.2 is not compiling but only with my custom config. ... I was able to compile it with the GENERIC kernel included, but my modified one will not compile. ... # Power management support ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [SOLVED] Re: Hi, I am doing masquarading using my Debian machine
    ... my kernel, I use apt-get and installed the new kernel, I did not do ... So I assumed my old config file would have been used -- ... I shoudl have given the steps I took to compile the new kernel ... > if you learned to report what you observe, not what you think you see. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: stuck with 2.6.23.14 on x86_64
    ... the lastest that I can compile is 2.6.23.14; ... All .config are the same, ... SCSI controller: ... Right now, on AMD64 machines, I'm forced to patch by hand the kernel, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Differences between binary images and compiled kernels
    ... > they used to compile the particular kernel you're ... > named .config, and then ran make oldconfig, then ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problems with custom kernel fbsd 6.2