x server abort

these days I encountered some problem with my xorg 6.8 server. What I
remember now is that after I upgrade my apps by "portmanager -u", somehow
the X server failed during the launch of some apps, like bzflag and vmd. I
checked the xorg.log file, and the only thing I got is:
(WW) fcntl(10, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device

*** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
*** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.Org for
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
not so much to debug. I am running 6.0-STABLE and all my xorg installation
are current as checked by portmanager. The only old install is
xorg-fontserver-6.8.2, which has a newer version as 6.8.2_1, thx!!