Re: Raising temperature threshold

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 01:52:22PM -0300, Matthew Flanagan wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2005 11:46:31 -0400, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Matthew Flanagan <flanagan.matt@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I`ve installed a FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE and I was building some ports when
> > > suddenly my system shut down. Upon rebooting it and checking
> > > /var/log/messages, I found the following lines:
> > >
> > > Jun 21 16:01:30 bell root: WARNING: system temperature too high,
> > > shutting down soon!
> > > Jun 21 16:01:40 bell kernel: acpi_tz0: WARNING - current temperature
> > > (60.0C) exceeds safe limits
> > >
> > > Then I realized what had happened. My acpi_thermal sysctl's are:
> > >
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 50.0C
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: 0
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 1
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 50.0C
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 60.0C
> > > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 50.0C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> > >
> > > When I try to raise hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT to 85C (which is the
> > threshold in
> > > the BIOS setup) it doesn't work:
> > >
> > > bell# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT=3580 # 3580 tenths of Kelvin=85C
> > > sysctl: oid 'hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT' is read only
> > >
> > > I've tried /etc/sysctl.conf as well, but I get the same error.
> > >
> > > Now, my question is: how do I change this value? I've read several
> > manpages
> > > (acpi(4), acpi_thermal(4), acpiconf(8), and many others) and checked the
> > > handbook, to no avail. Can anyone point me to the right direction?
> >
> > Can it be set at boot time? [from the loader?]
>
> Perhaps, but loader(8) lists the kernel tunable parameters available, and
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz%d._CRT isn't one of them.

Did you ever discover a resolution to this? I have a Shuttle SN95G5
system that is doing the same thing. To make matters worse, it appears
that the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature value that is being returned is
5 to 10 degrees higher than what BIOS thinks (I am inclined to believe
the BIOS on this one). I can change the CPU fan speed settings in the
BIOS. It has pretty extensive control of this, with the default setting
of "SMART FAN" where it controls fan speed based on CPU temperature.
Unfortunately, in that mode the hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature slews to
60C (while BIOS reads below 50C) before the fan has sped up enough. I
can also set the fan speed control to fixed, relatively higher values,
but the fan noise is then bothersome.

So, anyone know where the 60C value for hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT is
derived from and how to change it?

Thanks,
Bob

> Cheers,
> Matt

Bob Willcox Maintainer's Motto:
bob@xxxxxxxxxx If we can't fix it, it ain't broke.
Austin, TX

  • Re: Weird behavior of dd
    ... That's where you start writing code to control them - a BIOS if you like. ... store registers every time one calls another routine and from which to pop ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: secure client-side platform
    ... way of verifying the bios instructions. ... >assuming enemy do not have control over the trusted server itself, ... >how to have a secure client-side platform for secret communication? ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: PCI 6052E card with xpctarget v2.9 (R2006a) - give CPU overload even at 25 Hz
    ... considerably higher overhead than the board itself can support. ... BIOS implements support for System Management Interrupts. ... during execution the TET will include the SMI time. ... Look for anything relating to fan control and set the fan to full ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: [opensuse] disk device names and libata
    ... /dev/disc/by ID ect is nothing but a mine field over which there is very little control. ... Yeah, except, with the old way I could copy an opld drive to a new drive and the new drive would still be that same /dev/sdXx, and all bootloader configs would magically still work without editing or adjusting even though I'd completely replaced the drive. ... (The rest isn't diretced at you Lars, ... The bios sees things in whatever way it does, and the OS sees things in whatever way it does, and the two do not have anything to do with each other except by coincidence. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Reduce PIII Mobile CPU Speed in DOS - DosIdle
    ... I'm running the latest BIOS and embedded controller for my T20. ... controlled or accessed settings in 98 it changes the settings in the ... for example the Power and SpeedStep settings. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)