Re: could not determine fs type - fsck

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:30:54PM +0200, Victor Lundwall wrote:
Christoph Kukulies wrote:
I replaced a disk that had trouble with fsck in a 5.3 system and connected it
to a 5.2.1 system for further examinaton.

starting fsck /dev/ad3 gave me an error: could not determine file system type.

Had there been some change in FS right between FreeBSD 5.2 and 5.3 such that
either systems couldn't recognize each others FSs?

Don't you haft to have a specific partition and slice? So it should be
something like fsck_ufs /dev/ad3s1a? Else way try
fsck_ufs /dev/ad3.

I think I tried fsck -t UFS /dev/ad3 already (not sure though, will be in
the office later in the afternoon and try then). I believe you can also do a

newfs /dev/ad1

instead of

newfs /dev/ad1s1

which may result in a different disk layout. I'm also not sure about that.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org