Re: [IMPORTANT] Adaptec no longer supporting iir(4) driver ...

User Freebsd wrote this message on Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 22:44 -0300:
For those that haven't been following the discussion on this, the iir(4)
driver in FreeBSD 6.x appears to have a deadlock issue under medium to
heavy load, where the 'blocked' state just continues to rise until file
accesses just no longer work ...

So, if you are running a server that is using the iir(4) device driver and
are considering upgrading to FreeBSD 6.x and beyond, or are looking to
build a new machine using a device that relies on this driver, do so at
your own peril ...

Please note that this deadlock issue exists on *both* the ICP Vortex
cards, *and* the Intel based RAID controllers ...

Have you tried the driver in -current and/or 6.1-R? Specificly v1.14
and v1.13.2.1 of iir.c that limits the simq to 32 commands? We are
running w/ this modifications w/o issues on 6.0-R w/ SRCU31A and SRCU42L
cards... We have a few GDT cards also that I don't believe we are
having any issues with...

Infact, scottl tracked down that change after a bit of proding from me
on behalf of my employer nCircle... (Though it helped that he was able
to reproduce it in his lab.)...

--
John-Mark Gurney Voice: +1 415 225 5579

  • Re: Problems with sr driver and Wanic 400
    ... FreeBSD 6.1 doesen't work at any speed in this combo, ... I've got a driver for this card that I was sent by Imagestream, ... Supposedly the programming docs for the chipset used on the WanIC 500 are ... The best bet for current support for these cards is to use Linux, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: HAL must die!
    ... > I have two Linksys Wireless-N PCI cards in front of me that work ... It's more the fault of the hardware manufacturer. ... and a driver was suppose to be available. ... into FreeBSD. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report for October - December 2009
    ... which has shown to be a very important year for the FreeBSD Project. ... Intel XScale hwpmcsupport ... The FreeBSD Foundation Status Report ... Ralink wireless RT2700U/2800U/3000U runUSB driver ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report for October - December 2009
    ... which has shown to be a very important year for the FreeBSD Project. ... Intel XScale hwpmcsupport ... The FreeBSD Foundation Status Report ... Ralink wireless RT2700U/2800U/3000U runUSB driver ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report for October - December 2009
    ... which has shown to be a very important year for the FreeBSD Project. ... Intel XScale hwpmcsupport ... The FreeBSD Foundation Status Report ... Ralink wireless RT2700U/2800U/3000U runUSB driver ...
    (freebsd-stable)