Re: Large File System?

On 08/08/06, Atom Powers <atom.powers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks. I found my problem. (Sysinstall, aka fdisk, won't do more that
1.2TB.)
BTW, anybody have any good advice on how to manage a large file system?

Unfortunately I have to say "consider Solaris or Linux as they have
journalling file systems."

Although I have a couple of big file systems on FreeBSD, it is not a pretty
sight if there is some sort of problem. Recently our colo lost power. The
two boxes that needed manually fixing were the two big file system boxes.
Background fsck did not fix them. To compare, we have one almost identical
box running Linux. It came straight back up courtesy of ext3.

Ignoring all the suggestions to get UPS (the colo had generator backed UPS
which failed), etc, problems can/do happen. And when they do, journalling
for big file systems is very useful.

The single most important thing missing for me in FreeBSD is a journalling
file system as I would use it on every box.

You don't need to do anything more to manage big file systems per se. How
big a file system are you going to create? What are you going to use it for?
That might help with suggestions.

--Atom Powers--

Frem.

  • Re: Sidetracked: why gjournal over soft-updates (Was: Re: UFS2 Journaling implementation detail)
    ... >> writes in such a way that the on-disk file system is ... If you have soft-updates the data is as safe as with journal ... "Real" journalling file systems would have the following benefits, ... requirements than modern hard drives ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Require competent person to fix RiscPC
    ... >>> No. NTFS only journals meta data, so the directory structure will be ... > table (like our disc map). ... There are two processes going on - caching and journalling. ... After a crash Windows uses the journalled data to fix up any file system ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Help review the FAQ
    ... some info about journalling should be added to ... SU+J does not work with dump on a live filesystem i.e. use snapshot. ... For more information see man 8 tunefs ... file system, the system must be rebooted after the file system is tuned. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: HFS+ for archive and backup?
    ... So when any of this metadata changes, ... the disk ... So if you are expecting that a journaled file system will provide ... several commercial Unix file systems which included journalling ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: CHKDSK killed my OpenGL subsystem
    ... so if any sequence of file system operations was ... > What specifically does journalling keep a backup of, ... In the case of NTFS I believe that only file system metadata is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)