Re: Low Priority Apps

On 24/08/2006 07:17, Dave Raven wrote:
Hi all,

Hi Dave,

I have a FreeBSD 4.x box running an app that uses 30-50% of the
processor. Periodically (through cron) we run a perl app that processes log
files and inserts the entries to sql.

This perl + mysql combination is causing problems for our app and I'd like
to run them at a low priority. What nice value should I give them - should I
lower the value of just the perl, or both, or make the high priority app's
value higher?

I'd say make both perl and mysql processes 'nicer', say, both to value
of 10 (YMMV, you may want to experiment with it).

From your post I'm not sure if you're aware - the lower the value of
'nice' the higher priority the process has. Check
getpriority(2) for the details.

On the side note, I'm doing it all the time - I can watch tv (with
some filters it takes about 20% CPU) perfectly fine while building
world with nice =20.

Thanks
Dave

HTH,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>

  • Re: DELETING records using MYSQL Database
    ... you don't have the rights for a local infile operation for that mysql ... ask the Perl Guys to run the infile op as a perl script with your file - ... mySql / VFP / MS-SQL ... > remote table - DELETE FROM, I want to repopulate it with data from ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.queries-sql)
  • script help to update member profiles
    ... form is all stored in a MySql Database (First Name, Last Name, Username, ... my partner that did all the perl scripts was injured ... Compare entered username and password to database to confirm the user is ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • DBI / DBD / MySQL installation problem
    ... I used to run Red Hat 9, and had a perfect relationship with Perl, DBI, ... able to connect to MySQL from Perl via DBI. ... Running install for module Mysql ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • unable to make SELECT take variables
    ... I am working on a MySQL /Perl web site. ... PERL and am making progress. ... I want to sort and print the mailing labels from the database. ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: SQLite - problem connecting to database (or doing a select)
    ... >> You need to pick one, MySQL or SQLite for your project. ... I just want to be able to access an sql database from perl. ... if you can install DBD::mysql on the machine that has MySQL ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)