Re: Removing removable ATA hard drives

On Thursday 05 October 2006 11:00, Olivier Nicole wrote:

[Power down a drive bay using its built-in keyswitch and pull the disk without
dropping the whole box]
Unless you need to move that disk from one machine to another, fix it
in your server, keep the tray for future testing when you will have
more time... (if we ever have more time in the present life :)

I should probably have said: we don't currently have offsite backups (we've
exceeded the capacity of our tape device and our budget), and the quick-fix
solution is dumping to this hard drive and then pulling it out and taking it
home. As such the removability is key to its intended function. I can't keep
dropping the main fileserver to fiddle with it, and the alternative in terms
of testing is to set up another box with the particular 4.9-STABLE snapshot
running on this server (to eliminate OS version-related variable effects).

I'm hoping some kind person here will save me the trouble by saying, from
experience, either ``yes, you're on the right track but you need to do x, y
and z before pulling/replacing the drive cassette'', or ``no, run away
screaming before your server room goes down in flames''.

Jonathan

  • Re: stopping telnet
    ... >>telnetting into our mail server and dropping off mydoom viruses. ... > time to telnet to your box and manually dropping off emails with virus. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Sending out the Saint Bernards
    ... was when ISPs started dropping it as part of the standard ... there to not offering it at all, while of course not dropping but in fact ... its stable and fast binary-handling as an "old successor" to the more ... I tried to convince my boss to use local news server as a cheap ...
    (rec.sport.basketball.college)
  • Re: I upgraded my sms 2.0 server to windows 2003 and active directory.
    ... What do you mean the clients are dropping off the server? ... Jeff Harbaugh [MSFT] ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)