Information about loader and ldconfig

In diagnosing problems after a recent install of refdb and mysql on my Freebsd 6.1 release system, I came across the directory:
which contains files with names like "mysql". Each of these files contains just one line, which is a path to library modules (e.g. "/usr/local/lib/mysql") for that program. Other programs (e.g. mozilla) also have library modules in their own subdirectory in /usr/local/lib, but do not seem to need any files in the ldconfig directory.

My query is "why is this"? Is it to do with shared library modules? Why not put entries for all of the subdirectories from /usr/local/lib in the ldconfig directory?

Just seeking information, but others may be interested to note that I had to put an entry for the "dbd" subdirectory into the ldconfig directory when installing refdb. Thank you all.

Rob Hurle
Rob Hurle Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
Home address and contacts: Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
PO Box 4013 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
Ainslie Cell phone: 0417 293 603
Australia e-mail: rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx