Information about loader and ldconfig

In diagnosing problems after a recent install of refdb and mysql on my Freebsd 6.1 release system, I came across the directory:
/usr/local/libdata/ldconfig
which contains files with names like "mysql". Each of these files contains just one line, which is a path to library modules (e.g. "/usr/local/lib/mysql") for that program. Other programs (e.g. mozilla) also have library modules in their own subdirectory in /usr/local/lib, but do not seem to need any files in the ldconfig directory.

My query is "why is this"? Is it to do with shared library modules? Why not put entries for all of the subdirectories from /usr/local/lib in the ldconfig directory?

Just seeking information, but others may be interested to note that I had to put an entry for the "dbd" subdirectory into the ldconfig directory when installing refdb. Thank you all.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle

  • DBI / DBD / MySQL installation problem
    ... I used to run Red Hat 9, and had a perfect relationship with Perl, DBI, ... able to connect to MySQL from Perl via DBI. ... Running install for module Mysql ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics
    ... I have now got to a point that I have a working MySQL database system on ... could not expect to install a database that would be available to the ... As Monique said, you can use MySQL to store passwords and write your own login script, but you should also be able to use basic authentication in the web server to require a user name and password for access to web pages, which may well be enough for your purposes. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Installing Puresecure on Solaris 8
    ... Getting puresecure installed on Solaris was very difficult. ... I had to manually install a number of things. ... CONFIGURING MYSQL: ... INSTALLING PERL MODULES ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Problem installing Mysql from Zeniz.com on 5.0.7
    ... The FSU-threads needs the system to have all the latest patches. ... FSU-threads and MySQL are very tempramental to system changes and the way ... Please specify the operating system you want to install Pthreads on: ... SCO UNIX ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: MySQL gem problem on OS X [SOLVED]
    ... My mysql gem 2.7 is installed in the following directory: ... I have a symlink to the full name of the install to simplify the path name. ... using UNIX command cd) your way to each of those directories in separate terminal windows. ... but start with sudo. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)