Re: RAID Performance Questions

On Jan 25, 2007, at 12:15, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Still, you also ought to consider that a 3-disk RAID-5 configuration is very much not ideal from either an efficiency or performance standpoint-- you want more like 5 or 6 drives being used, in which case your performance numbers ought to increase some. This is also somewhat true of the 4-disk RAID-10 config; using 6 or all 8 drives would likely improve performance compared with striping against only two disks.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit limited in terms of equipment and application requirements. For starters, the app specs currently call for two arrays: one for general file-serving and databases, and the other for backups. Due to limited hardware I'm to run both on the same controller. Far from ideal, I know, but it's what I have. Second, I need to keep at least one drive as a hot-spare. Thus, I have seven drives that I somehow need to partition into two groups and maximize performance without sacrificing reliability. Lastly, the RAID controller does not permit more than two drives in a RAID-1 set.

Any suggestions?

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs

  • Big problem with lsm and advfs
    ... configuration following some problems after swapping a dead drive. ... root/swap/usr/var filesystems and the whole thing mirrored by lsm. ... It went fine for root, swap and then gave me some issues when trying to do ... The top 3 drives are one half lsm mirror, with a hot spare on the 4th drive, ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: clearing Vinum configurations
    ... the configuration currently read into memory, and NOT clear the Vinum ... On another box, again 4.8-RELEASE only with IDE instead of SCSI drives, ... plexes on an uninitialized drive and as such, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: new dell, dumb operator needs help!
    ... hard disks that are not in a raid configuration. ... listed under 'hard disk'. ... drives in 'my computer' then it is pretty clear that you do not have raid ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: SQL Configuration
    ... Because this is what is gonna shape your disk configuration. ... and the new servers have two drives, one for programs and one for data. ... our databases on the data drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Newbie: Fedora Core 4 Dual hard drive boot problems
    ... First is configured on IDE! ... i/f as primary and has three partitions; ... Ok so this is what your configuration should look like if you have 3 ... It if is at all possible, you should reconfigure your drives on the IDE ...
    (linux.redhat.install)