Re: cannot log in via console, cannot su(1), only as root

martinko wrote:
hello list,

i was updating sw configuration of my old computer and towards the end i noticed i couldn't log in on local console other than root. i tried remote ssh using public keys which worked but i found out su(1) to any user except root does not work either. i've no idea how i could possibly manage to "break" my system like this and unfortunately i need to fix it by tomorrow. therefore i would really appreciate your prompt hints as what to check etc.

some more details follow ...

upgrade from 6.0-R to 6.2-R
everything went ok ..
i was doing changes in /etc based on my other computer settings
i was working via ssh(1), therefore i haven't noticed when logging on console stopped working.

what works:
log in via ssh(1) using public/private keys
log in on local console as root
su(1) to root

what doesn't work:
log in via ssh(1) using password
log in on local console as a normal user
su(1) to a normal user (it even doesn't ask for password a throws "sorry")

besides, as root i'm able to change passwords via passwd(1), but it doesn't help and a normal user cannot change their own password (old password check would fail).

i ran vipw(8) and it doesn't seem to me there's something wrong with my files.

any hints pls ??

m.

  • Re: su, sudo, ssh, permissions question
    ... >> remote login via ssh. ... > to login as root. ... The requirements have to be satisfied regardless of security. ... Autoexecute on the local console is a requirement, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • cannot log in via console, cannot su(1), only as root
    ... i was updating sw configuration of my old computer and towards the end i noticed i couldn't log in on local console other than root. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
    ... permission from your *normal user* account by exercising root privileges ... user to root. ...  Done with sudo! ...   i - puts vi in insert mode ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: user privledges
    ... > redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... > fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... it started but would not install because i did ... sofware to /opt/musicmatch as a normal user. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: jail() House Rock
    ... Think carefully about exactly what kind of privileges your clients get. ... normal user account on the main server, and root inside the jail. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)