mount -awf, but fsck -y still says "no write"

I really don't feel like reinstalling tonite. I had a bad powersupply
and crashed. Starts up in single user of course, because /var is
fubared. In the past a mount -awf then an fsck -y did the trick, but
now I get NO WRITE in big letters as the first output from fsck, and
it never fixes anything. I tried of course, and I very well can write
to /var, so fsck is confused. Other than wiping it, do I have any
options? fsck does not have a 'force write' option that I can see.
Did I forget some crucial step? It's just a plain old ufs2 drive on
the motherboard pata.

Steve