Re: Swap size

At 03:03 AM 7/19/2007, Gabriel Linder wrote:
Hi,

I plan to setup FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on my Core Duo laptop with 1GB of RAM.

The handbook says "ideal swap size is 2xRAM", so should I use 2GB of swap ?

Yes unless you know how many applications will ever be run and their run size. The 2xRAM is so you can always have a reasonable performance allowing swap. You can still run out of swap, and this will cause a panic. With disks so cheap, why not use 2XRAM?

This seems a bit huge to me, I never used more than 400MB on Linux.
If so, is there a limit of swap partition size (or number) on i386 (for Linux it's 2GB per partition and 32 partitions max, but I don't know for FreeBSD) ?

You can add more swap using a swap file you can check that out doing:
man swapon

I don't believe there is a limit to swap partitions, other than the limit on other partitions.

I have no knowledge on efficiency of a swap partition vs a swap file.

-Derek --
believed to be clean.

  • Re: [swsusp] encrypt suspend data for easy wiping
    ... > Typical swap partition sizes are about the same as RAM sizes. ... Well, if you suspend with 100MB of RAM used, then keep suspending half ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • hibernate and swap partition size (newbie question)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Best partitioning?
    ... >> I would like to partition in such a way that it is easy to upgrade FC as ... The size of your swap partition should be equal to twice ... your computer's RAM, or 32MB, whichever amount is larger. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Weird crashes
    ... I've tried two different processors (AMD AthlonXP 2500+ ... I also tried moving the swap partition on a different hard drive. ... Programs crash, namely Xfree86. ... I've filled the RAM and have started to use quite a bit of swap. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: swap partition in RAM? Can it be done?
    ... >> Can RAM be allocated by Linux for its swap partition? ... I have a system handling sensitive data using Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)