"umount -f" Complete system crash...

BACKGROUND
Someone brought me a camera they were having trouble with: winXP
refused to mount the file system. I tried it on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE,
"mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt", no problems. I recovered all of their
photos. I attempted to "umount /mnt" and encountered an error,
something along the lines of cannot contact device, (I don't remember
exactly. No, I wasn't in the directory I was attempting to umount.).
No other process was communicating with the device, according to the
camera it was 'idle'. I issued a "umount -f /mnt" command. The entire
system locked up for a few seconds (maybe 4) and then CRASH! I found
myself looking at my BIOS output as the system reboots.

QUESTIONS
1. Obviously, why did FreeBSD crash? (More specifically what could
cause a crash in this situation?)
2. How do I find out, why it crashed?
3. Did I do something terribly unorthodox to invoke this crash, given
the situation? If so, what could be done different?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
-Modulok-

  • Re: HEADS DOWN
    ... FreeBSD did not have a choice in the ... FreeBSD normally just emits a warning to stderr and does not crash ... We can't be "bug for bug tolerant" with Linnex without copying ... And since our allocator is vastly superior ...
    (freebsd-arch)
  • Re: "umount -f" Complete system crash...
    ... Someone brought me a camera they were having trouble with: ... photos. ... Obviously, why did FreeBSD crash? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Spontanoeus reboots under load
    ... On Thursday 28 August 2003 01:24 pm, Mike Tancsa wrote: ... No crashes happened. ... I loaded the FreeBSD handbook in a web browser to use up more memory. ... I could not get FreeBSD to crash. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Hardware or OS problem?
    ... >> is a FreeBSD problem and says that Linux will not crash because of a ... > The sysadmin has no clue about either linux or freebsd! ... > A corrupt JPEG cannot cause a crash of the OS, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Handle kernel module crashes
    ... How does FreeBSD handle crash from a single kernel module? ... working on a shared data buffer or holding global locks (or locks belonging ...
    (freebsd-current)