Re: php5-5.2.3_1 / website behaves as if not enabled in httpd.conf

Dear Ian and others,

2007/9/12, Ian Smith <smithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:23:19 +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> 2007/9/12, Ian Smith <smithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:19:32 +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
[..]
> No, it wasn't in there but I moved it to this section. There is no
> difference. I cannot start apache.
[..]
> > And check that /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp5.so exists!
>
> Everything is fine here. But I think now that the problem is not with
> apache but with php. It does not even matter if I do start or
> startssl. In both instances the httpd server dies. The reason I think
> it is php-related is that when I issue php -v I get:
>
> PHP 5.2.3 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Sep 12 2007 08:59:52)
> Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Well it's broken for sure if php -v dumps .. and if php cli is broken
most likely the module is too, which may well explain apache crashing ..

> pkg_info | grep php5
> php5-5.2.3_1 PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
>
> I do not really feel like upgrading apache (as suggested by someone
> else - thank you by the way) because it is just a home machine on
> which I do not need all the greatest and latest.
>
> If there's nothing obvious that comes to your mind I will try posting
> it on a php list.

Sorry, I'm on digests here which can take half a day unless you cc me,
so I hope you've made some progress by now .. no, nothing obvious, but:

I'd be trying to separate these two problems: save configs, comment out
all of the php stuff in httpd.conf and get your upgraded apache up and
running properly first, then refetch / reinstall / reconfigure php5?

I commented out all extensions and then brought them in one by one.
The one which was causing core dumps was simplexml.so. I had a few
others that I had to comment as otherwise they were giving me trouble
(because of the simplexml being commented out I guess): pdo.so,
pdo_sqlite.so, spl.so, mysqli.so, sqlite.so.

I am not really worried about these. I am not really sure if I will
ever need them. So fine for the time being. php -v does not produce
core dumps and I can start apache.

There's only one problem left to be solved - files with php extensions
are not really shown in browser until I click RELOAD. Files with html
extensions are shown without the need to reload. Thanks for your
patience!

Zbigniew Szalbot