Re: Booting to Sysinstall

Christer Hermansson wrote:

Jerahmy Pocott wrote:

Hello,

Okay so here is the situation:
Server has dead fd and cd drives, or maybe none at all. You want to install FreeBSD
on it.

The idea I had was to create a small partition, copy the contents of a cd into, set it
to boot off that partition, reboot and it would boot up into sysinstall.

Would this be possible? Or is it a dumb idea?

Boot from usb-memory
http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2

or use pxe
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html

However I would choose to connect a CD-player
or
move the harddisk to some other machine that have a CD and do the install and then move the harddisk back.

I use the attach a CD Rom method on many servers I have built and it works fine unless the HD is too big for the bios on the motherboard. Sometimes you can load FreeBSD 7 on an HD on another box successfully, but if the bios on the box it ends up on will not let it run if the HD is too big.

There are several options.

~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740
+ http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc@xxxxxxxx +
+ http://internetohana.org - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +

  • Re: How to re-build a Small Business Server
    ... If you are not able to enter the BIOS, you need to find out how to do that. ... There may also be some key combination that allows for alternate boot ... Get your SBS Health Check ... I have recently been given an Acer Altos G310 Server which I am trying ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: [opensuse] EFI Boot Problem with 12.3 x64 and Intel Xeon Server
    ... Tuggled on and off EFI Optimised Boot in BIOS. ... Now server hangs at BIOS prompt. ... BMC Firmware 1.13.2825, ME Firmware 02.02.00.036 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Headless Fedora
    ... My Fedora Core 2 n server does this "out of the box". ... bios that it will boot without keyboard and/or mouse and/or monitor. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Login - no mouse or keyboard after CMOS clear
    ... The application came form a boot of a MS_DOS ... I did not have to get back to the windows server OS to apply. ... >> upgrade BIOS to clear RAID disk malfunction. ... >> keyboard and the boot-up says both keyboard and mouse are detected. ...
  • Re: Is it possible to make Setup Disks for Windows 2003 Server
    ... I was going into the BIOS to change ... > the boot sequence to boot from CD-Rom, but my only two options were to ... >> There are no setup boot disks for Windows Server 2003. ...