Re: question about Postfix

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 01:23:25 jekillen wrote:
On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Duane Hill wrote:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 at 19:50 -0700, jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx confabulated:
Hello;
I have a quick question about Postfix.
When I install Free BSD and have it
include Postfix from packages, does
the install process completely replace
Sendmail with Postfix, or do I still have
to replace Sendmail with Postfix separately?
Thanks in advance
Jeff K

If you install Postfix from the ports collection:

/usr/ports/mail/postfix

toward the end of the install process, it will ask you if you wish for
the install to make changes in /etc/mail/mailer.conf. You tell it yes.
If it did not ask, /etc/mail/mailer.conf should look like this:

sendmail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

This is what so-to-speak "plugs" Postfix into the OS.

To totally disable SendMail from running at startup after a reboot,
you have to make some additions to the /etc/rc.conf config file.
Namely, you have to add:

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

Also, there are some periodic things that are ran which are SendMail
specific that need to be disabled. That is done within
/etc/periodic.conf as such:

daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
daily_submit_queuerun="NO"

O.K. This is something I have not been aware of. As far as MTA's on any
system I am somewhat of a newbe. I do get regular e-mails to the root
accounts of my
various (four) systems when they are running constantly, (two are) and
I have been wondering how a switch over will effect that.
I will need to do a system specific configuration of postfix and define
system specific aliases, prevent public use of the servers for open
relaying and such.

Actually, all you need to do is run `newaliases' after mailer.conf is
correctly setup. By default postfix does not relay mail not destined for the
local machine. Any other configuration you do, is merely adding more
restrictions for getting spammed yourself and less restrictions if you need
trusted machines to relay via you (like the local network).

The thing to watch out for is mergemaster, when you upgrade your base system.
If /etc/mail/mailer.conf has been changed in FreeBSD's sources, it will
prompt you to merge the changes.
Also, some new defaults might get set in /etc/defaults/rc.conf that trigger
new sendmail daemons to start up at boot time, this is why using
sendmail_enable="NONE" is better then turning off every known sendmail
option.

--
Mel

  • Re: [opensuse] How to monitor Linux systems from a focal/central point (was: ranting and raving abo
    ... I'm perfectly well aware of how to set up Postfix, and, for my sins, ... workstation ran Postfix, exim, sendmail or other such MTA. ... this is solely regarding the case of a minimal install on a resource-limited ... client machine that has absolutely no need for an MTA to be installed. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Email Servers
    ... On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:08, Paul Dubinsky wrote: ... >> But I still have no clue what I installed I gather sendmail. ... > Sendmail and/or Postfix is installed. ... > install if you're not careful. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mail Services
    ... > package from the Fedora install. ... I like Sendmail, others Postfix or Exim. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: /etc/alternatives
    ... Its most common use is to switch between sendmail and postfix, ... many programs look for a 'sendmail' binary when they want to, well, send mail. ... postfix you would normally have to uninstall sendmail and then install ... is done using a series of 'slave' links which are automtically switched over ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: sendmail/postfix ports question
    ... > However, the postfix package cannot, as I am sure you know, simply install ... > with sendmail on the system, since they install files to the same places. ... /usr/local with configuration in /usr/local/etc. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)