Swap partition

Hello,

I have FreeBSD installed on my desktop, with 2 GB of RAM and

4 GB swap partition and this swap partition is very seldom

touched by the system and then only 2-3% used.

I want to install FreeBSD on a laptop with 4 GB of RAM and a
hard disk of 100 GB. Should I waste 8 GB for a swap partition,
as it is recommended in the handbook?

Thanks for any advice,

Eugen

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

  • Re: [swsusp] encrypt suspend data for easy wiping
    ... > Typical swap partition sizes are about the same as RAM sizes. ... Well, if you suspend with 100MB of RAM used, then keep suspending half ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • hibernate and swap partition size (newbie question)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: swap partition in RAM? Can it be done?
    ... >> Can RAM be allocated by Linux for its swap partition? ... I have a system handling sensitive data using Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Best partitioning?
    ... >> I would like to partition in such a way that it is easy to upgrade FC as ... The size of your swap partition should be equal to twice ... your computer's RAM, or 32MB, whichever amount is larger. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Weird crashes
    ... I've tried two different processors (AMD AthlonXP 2500+ ... I also tried moving the swap partition on a different hard drive. ... Programs crash, namely Xfree86. ... I've filled the RAM and have started to use quite a bit of swap. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)