Re: Question about restore

Hi there!

(1) You MAY TRY Frenzy [ http://frenzy.org.ua/en/ ] FreeBSD LiveCD distribution for the task.
I didn't, but, I think, it MAY help you. )

(2) I failed to do thing like this from the FreeBSD CD in FixIt mode... It said something like "not enough space (on a memory filesystem)",
*as I remember*.

(3) My way:
I first install a minimal distribution of FreeBSD on a new machine, then
do something like
# cd / && gunzip -c /mnt/remote_storage/old_host_root.dmp.gz | restore -ruf -
<...>
# shutdown now
<...>
# exit (or <ctrl> + <D>)
login:
<...>
:)

Good luck!

Fira wrote:
Hi list,

I want to migrate one of my server (machine A) into another (machine B). My
choice is using 'dump' and 'restore'. I've dumped all of my filesystem into
third machine (machine C) over ssh. All went fine.
Then, I want to restore it into machine B. This machine is newly fresh, no
freebsd inside. My plan is restore the dump file into it by using installer
CD. I use the cd/dvd fixit mode. At this time, my confusion begun. To
restore it, I need to create the slice. I did 'fdisk' and 'disklabel'
from sysinstall. But it failed. I followed tutorial from
http://devpit.org/wiki/Dump_and_Restore_over_SSH [of course with some
adjustment], but I still failed.

My question is, how is the right way to do the restore in a system that
hasn't been installed with freebsd at all? From what I get in google, every
restore example is done on a system that has been installed an OS.

Thanks a lot guys!

  • Re: Resizing Partitions, Losing Windows XP...
    ... install applications ... Could I do a dump of my current FreeBSD ... to mount the partitions read only. ... now to restore there are better ways to do it but this ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Moving Freebsd to a new Server
    ... We were in a rush to install a freebsd server without proper hardware on ... whatever media and restore on the new machine. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: freebsd-texlive port
    ... binaries for FreeBSD with the main texlive distribution so it's not ... possible for FreeBSD ports then it would be great. ... install (or fetch from precompiled packages from a trusted ... "micro-management" systems which is different from port to port. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: installing FreeBSD in VMWare-player
    ... How to move a complete FreeBSD installation into a VM ... I used an USB disk with an UFS file system on it as ... let it install FreeBSD's boot manager ... polluted which things we don't want (because we later will restore ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: freebsd-texlive port
    ... binaries for FreeBSD with the main texlive distribution so it's not ... necessary to integrate into the ports system. ... possible for FreeBSD ports then it would be great. ... install (or fetch from precompiled packages from a trusted ...
    (freebsd-questions)